Just The Two of Us

Top!Y/N

Bottom!Matsuda

Summary: 

After working late, You decide to give Matsuda a break from work.

Author: uniumiuni (on ao3)

_______________________

You glanced up at the clock and it read 20:45. You were working late as usual. The chief wanted you to stay back and help Matsuda out with work because he'd been distracted lately. You looked back at your computer screen and continued to finish your remaining work.

After you finished up, you tidied up your desk and walked over to Matsuda's to check in. There he sat, spaced out with the work on the computer screen, barely touched. He hadn't noticed your presence until he felt your hand on his shoulder. His head shot up from the screen with a bright expression. As always.

"Oh! Hello Y/N! Did you need anything?"

"Ah Matsuda-san? I finished my part of the report and the paperwork, and I was just checking in to see how far you got?"

The man's smile dropped.

"I still have a paragraph to go, but don't worry! I'll have it done as soon as possible!"

"You said that yesterday and the day before. Chief's gonna get onto you if you don't finish your work soon." You said teasingly.

He shook his head and laughed slightly. "Chief always gets onto me regardless if I've done something or not, don't worry about little old me! I got it!" He flashed his classic bubbly smile.

Matsuda's behavior irked you at the beginning. He was always outgoing and often never went a day without smiling or helping anyone out. His beaming personality seemed too unfamiliar for the task force, but when you saw him during the Kira Investigation, You eventually came to realize how much you envied him and his ability to keep his composure.

After all he's been through, he still had a smile on his face. But he didn't have that same energy he once had. A part of you missed that more than you'd expected to.

It didn't take long to realize that you'd slowly been falling for him.

You chuckled and knelt down next to him.

"Alright then, don't stress yourself out too much. I wouldn't want to see anything happen to that pretty face of yours. If you need anything from me, I'll be waiting near the elevator."

In the corner of your eye, you saw Matsuda's beaming face of approval.

"Thank you, Y/N. I really appreciate your support right now. You take care of yourself, okay?"

You patted him on the back and made your way to the elevator.

The hallway was quiet and empty, with the occasional distant sound of paper shuffling. Nobody came up here after work unless they had a reason, but a few others were still working overtime. Once you arrived at the elevator, you pushed the button to go down. While waiting, you began to think about Matsuda's expression after you hinted your interest in him which you found quite endearing. You'd want to remember it forever. A part of you wondered if he would meet you at the elevator. You knew others would consider it too wishful, but you just wanted to see him.

The elevator's singular tone chime rang and the doors slid open. You stepped in and pressed the button to the ground floor. You'd realized how much of a klutz Matsuda was. He probably saw it as a friendly compliment, one that required little thought. Perhaps it may have been wishful thinking. He, of all people, wouldn't be the type to understand unless an explanation was provided.