Nicknames

The ppl of Deathnote calling you nicknames ;0 

Author:  dragonsareourfuture (on ao3)

_____________________

Mello

My god, around his mafia guys expect to be called anything that signifies that you are his and only so. Something like 'My Love' or really anything with 'my' in front of it. You'd think he does this because of his natural protectiveness, which is only partially true. It also serves as a way to let all the mafioso know that you are in fact dating Mello and that harming you will directly go against the code of loyalty. However, after the explosion, you find these nicknames come less and less, limited only to the times the two of you are alone together. His view on nicknames becomes similar to his view on PDA, except rather than "I'd look like a fool being seen next to you" it's more of a "I don't deserve to call you mine" type mentality. Still very similar, and a similar approach can be taken to assure him that you don't think that way at all — calling him by affectionate names yourself, especially some dumb ones just to make him laugh.

Matt

Matt calls you whatever will get on Mello's nerves the fastest. And, if he's feeling particularly bratty, whatever gets on your nerves the fastest. Basically his goal is to annoy anyone and everyone with your guys' relationship, even you. He'll go for all the strange ones — sweetums, love duckling, one time he called you "heart shaped walnut" and that was your tipping point. Whenever Matt goes on a tangent of bad nicknames Mello will just roll his eyes and put on his headphones, but you don't have anything to save you. What you do have is a choice — fire back or look for absurd ways to block him out before he calls you Daddy.

Near

Near isn't the type to deviate from your name unless he has been told that it's alright to call you something different, even if you are romantically involved. If you give him the go ahead, he'd have to try out a few different ones at first. He's never really gotten to call someone by a nickname that he makes up before, so he wants to make this one count. He's made a list. A list of different nicknames that he wants to try out at some point in time. Sometimes he'll call you the nickname ever so casually, wait a few moments for your reaction, and then pull out the list to make notes as to what said reaction was and if he should use the nickname again based off of that. You truly appreciate his effort. When he finds the right one, he is not deviating from it.

L

Not a lot of people would expect L to have any nicknames for his significant other, even when he's as devoted to you as he is. So imagine your and everyone else's surprise when he starts calling you things like Honeybunch or, on the weirder side, Fruit Loop with a completely straight face. One time he called you Tator Tot which made everyone malfunction for a split second. You think he's doing it to get a rise out of you (and more likely the task force) but it seems like he's having fun and it gets fun seeing what he's gonna call you next. The pattern you notice is that they're mostly food related. Eventually it gets to the point where you don't even know what the food is, as it must be a dish from a different region that you're not familiar with. He would be most delighted if you were to fire back with your own insane nicknames, both as a fun joke between the two of you and as a way to tell if his advances in your relationship are being well received.

Matsuda

He would come up with a different thing to call you every time he sees you, no repeats. He doesn't want you to get bored of him and, although that would never happen and he knows that, there's still this part of him that wants to make your relationship exciting in every aspect, even if it's in something as small as what he calls you. Due to his "no repeat" rule, the nicknames start to get a little...odd. They went from "beautiful" and "honey" to "love nugget" or "best bean". You still don't really know what that last one means. The interesting thing is that he then begins to like the strange ones better than the generic ones, so he takes inspiration from everyday life in order to come up with new ones. He's reading the newspaper? Guess who's getting called his 'Times New Roman-ce nugget'?

Misa

Misa can and will call you anything and everything under the sun and moon. She usually sticks to the cute ones like honey, darling, love, all that good stuff. The task force's reactions are actually pretty wholesome because unlike L, Misa's initial instinct is to call you something cute and not something ominously random. Like, she'll kiss your cheek and call you "pudding" and Matsuda will all go soft for your relationship, effectively making Misa only want to do it more to get more reactions like that. It's a whole cycle. Soon she starts stringing together a bunch on different nicknames in one sentence. She barely ever uses your name anymore, even when referring to you to others. Perhaps that's for the best, though. Don't want to get you killed by Kira, now do we?