ONE

Angel

August 22nd, 2020
A week before the incident

I was always taught to pray to God whenever I needed someone to talk to. It can be when I'm either angry, sad, or just wanting to express what I'm going through. My parents are religious people and passed it down to me. I guess that's why my name is Angel. They told me no matter what, never stop believing.

So, that's what I did.

I never stopped.

Part of the reason why I always have a cross around my neck. I never took it off unless it was absolutely necessary. There was times I would just kiss it for any type of hope or when I'm nervous.

The hot summer sun shined and sweat beaded against my forehead as I took out a box out of my parent's SUV. My best friend, Maurice, was next to me carrying his box. He was staring at the girls that walked by us with their books in hands. "I'm already seeing all these fine ass girls."

"We haven't been here for not even five minutes, nigga," I chuckled.

Our moms talked while we walked away to go to our newly assigned room. I already got the key for us since I put out that we're sharing a room together.

We walked across campus to go to our dorms. The moment we stepped in, it was rowdy. Loud rap music was playing from one room, some guys walked around with their towels wrapped around their waist, talking could be heard throughout the hallway. I was completely amazed because this was so new to me.

I stood there acknowledging the atmosphere around me. Then I feel someone pushed past me from behind.

"Out of my way, freshmen," a white guy said, pushing past us. I got pushed so hard that my shoulder collided with the wall.

"Well damn, wigga," Maurice said. "Watch the fit na'."

The guy cut his eyes at us but still continued to head to his room.

A smile formed on my lips and I shook my head at his stupid ass. But that was my nigga though. I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world.

Maurice has always been my best friend. We've been close since we popped out the womb together with our moms being great friends and all. Whatever he did, I did and vice versa. He would play sports, I would. I would want to go somewhere, he came with me. I wanted to eat this type of food, he would want it too.

He's the reason why I decided I wanted to come with him to Texas. Since we were kids, all we talked about was never staying far away from each other. We grew up across the street from each other and we have always been inseparable.

I swear, that's like my brother right there.

When we got to our room number, I put my box down and got the key out of my pocket so I could unlock the door for us. When I opened the door, I was greeted by a plain looking dorm room. There was only two beds on either side of the dorm room. I looked some more and I didn't see no kitchen area.

I guess we're going to have to buy our own mini fridge, microwave, and air fryer.

Maurice was quick to drop his box and jump into the bed on the far right. "Called dibs! This bed is mine."

I shook my head at his childishness. I went over to my bed and put my box down. "What are we? Kids?"

All he just do was give me that goofy ass smile while wiggling his eyebrows. "You gone join me with your mad ass?"

My head quickly jerked in his direction as my face scrunched. "Nigga, get your gay ass on somewhere," I laughed.

All he just did was laugh, but got up. "Come on. We still got a lot of stuff to get." Maurice walked past me to leave out of the room. "Last one to get to the parking lot is a bitch!" I heard him say, followed by laughter.