TWENTY THREE

Angel

The heart monitor beeped as I watched Maurice sleep peacefully while being hooked up to this machine. Leaning forward in my chair, I put my hand over his.

Our parents are on their way to Minnesota. Though Maurice lost a lot of blood, the doctor said that he's still goin' to pull through.

My head bowed down in sadness, missing hearing his voice deeply. If he was up, I kno' he would be talm 'bout sum' food right na', or tryin' to help brighten my mood.

Maurice would kno' exactly what to do to fix how the way I'm feelin' if he was up, but he needs his rest. It hurts that I can't hear his voice for a while, but only just stare at him as he's still in a coma.

A tear slid down my cheek and I just let it roll. All I could do was drop my head down into the sheets, neva' letting go of his hand.

I think about all the shit we've been through. The good times, the bad, the long drives, the silliness, the encounters, and the end.

We did it. We ended it all... Togetha'.

We got through some of the most wildest shit alive. The important thing is, we get to see another day. Which means, we can spend the rest of our lives togetha' living peacefully and comfortably without any worries. Maybe we get to go off somewhere in the near future again, except only this time, like a normal couple.

When he awoke from afta' his surgery, I told him that it was all ova'. He was confused about how the killer neva' came forward until it was too late.

I don't kno' why either.

But the dude is going to get sentenced and I'm hoping that it's lengthy. He can't get let off the hook.

I lifted up my head slightly to kiss the back of his hand. "I love you," I whispered against the skin.

I'm neva' leaving his side. We still in this togetha' like a ride or die.

• • • • • • • • • • •

I woke up from my position in the chair. Lookin' over, Maurice is still asleep.

Yawning and stretching, I slowly get up from off this chair. My stomach growled in hungriness. This was the first time I've slept in two days since the incident. I haven't been wanting to eat, with only settling on chips and water.

I checked the clock that's on the wall and saw that it's only 10 in the mawnin'.

I get up to go to the vending machine to get me yet another small bag of chips and water. Befo' leaving, I kissed Maurice on the forehead and softly told him I'll be back as if he can hear me. It brings me comfort whenever I talk to him, regardless if he can't hear the things I be telling him.

Throwing my hood over my head, I step out into the bright hallway. I'm off to the vending machine that's near the lobby of this floor.

I slide a dollar into the machine and pressed the number and letter of which chip I wanted. Today, the machine acts like it doesn't want to work. Getting pissed off, I lightly kicked the machine so it could work.

Still nun'.

That's when the dollar slid back out, so I slid it back in. "Come on. The fuck goin' on?"

The dollar slid right back out as it did before. Finally ova' it, I take the dollar and just settled to walk around the floor fa' the next available, workin' vending machine.