𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 8 - 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑛𝑡

Did I do something to upset you?

Gabriel was sitting on his bed trying not to think about Nathalie.

It was obvious she didn't do anything wrong but he had to keep her far away from him or she wouldn't have been happy.

She had suffered a lot because of him, because of her love for him, she deserved to be happy now.

He was a married man again now, Emilie was back he shouldn't have thought about her anymore.

Nathalie deserved to be happy like he deserved to be happy, just not with each other.

He had Emilie.

He had Emilie and Emilie only.

Gabriel got up.

As he walked out in the corridor he spotted Nathalie, she had a sad look on her face.

"Hi" she said.

"Hi" he answered.

"Where are you going?"

Nathalie frowned as she watched the man walking towards the nearest exit.

"I'm going out"

He felt her hand on his.

"Gabriel please, I don't want our bond to break because of something I don't even understand, I really enjoyed our time here with you, I want to be your friend"

Nathalie looked away a little embarrassed.

"I feel... I feel like a strange connection between us... I don't know what is it but I really want to keep contact with you"

Gabriel's eyes widened.

"Your crazy story might have been a silly lie but I feel like... I feel like... I know you"

It was true after all.

Nathalie couldn't understand what it was but a connection was there.

"No..." Gabriel murmured.

"I was afraid to tell you that, I was afraid to tell this thing to myself but it's true, it's..." 

Nathalie stopped and looked at the man.

His face started to be more and more clear into her mind.

"I have to go now"

The man freed himself from her grip and walked away faster than before.

Nathalie was staring to remember.

He could feel it and that wasn't good.

The woman stared at him.

"Gabriel" she murmured.

Gabriel decided to leave the place the same day.

He knew the plane wasn't meant to leave at that moment but he had to go, as soon as possible.

He needed to go away from Nathalie.

He decided to ask for a flight, anything would have been ok he just wanted to go back to Paris.

The small airport wasn't so far from the base.

"I should just walk there myself"

The man looked at the sky, it wasn't as blue as always, white clouds were covering it completely and the first snowflakes were falling.

"It's nothing" the man said and started marching towards the airport.

Nathalie was worried.

Something came back into her life even if she wasn't completely sure of what it was.

Was it someone more than something?

Could have been Gabriel?

Where was Gabriel now?

He was running away, away from there, away from her.

Why was so painful?

She didn't know that man so well.

Or maybe she did?

The snowfall had started to get thicker than before.

Gabriel could barely see a few centimetres from his nose.

"Maybe it wasn't a good idea after all"

He knew he should have asked for help but he was in hurry and he didn't think about the consequences.

He looked down at the snow at his feet, trying to find the path but it was all blurry around his eyesight.

As he tried to move the snow from the street his foot slipped because of the ice on the ground and the man fell down.

He apparently fell down a hill and could barely understand what was happening before everything went dark.

Where are you Gabriel?

What happened to you?

Nathalie opened her eyes.

She was lying on a couch, she must have fallen asleep by the sound of the storm.

The sound of the storm.

The storm?

"Gabriel!" she yelled.

She remembered the man saying he wanted to have a walk out.

She quickly put on her warmest clothes and took some things that could have helped her moving through the snow and went outside.

"Where are you stupid man?"

Nathalie followed the path outside the base searching for Gabriel.

"He must be here" she said panicking.

She yelled his name a couple of times but no one answered.

The snowfall got thicker and thicker but Nathalie kept looking around for the man for almost an hour until she spotted him down the cliff where she was standing.

She quickly reached his side.

It wasn't a big fall but he looked like he had hurt his head in the fall and that wasn't good.

She hoped the cold didn't have the best on him.

"Gabriel?" she called.

It was in that moment Nathalie's memories came back from the deepest chambers inside her brain.

She remembered everything.

Everything.

What Gabriel had done but most importantly who she was.

She was Nathalie Sancoeur, Gabriel Agreste's assistant.

She swore she wouldn't have never left him and she was determined to keep her word.

She gently stroke Gabriel's cheek trying to wake him up.

"Come on, don't die on me"

After a few tries he finally opened his eyes a little.

The blue in his eyes was the most beautiful colour Nathalie had seen in a long time.

He looked tired and in great pain but he was alive.

He was alive.

"Nathalie?" he murmured.

"Yes" she smiled.

"I'm sorry Nathalie"

"You just wanted your wife back, your wish became true Gabriel"

"Not like this..."

Gabriel started crying, his warm tears were falling down his frozen cheeks landing in the snow.

"What do you mean?"

Nathalie was confused.

"I love you Nathalie"

What?

Gabriel closed his eyes and fell unconscious into Nathalie's arms.