Election campaigning (#loud)

The 60-something guy with the crooked face gave the reporter a stern look. He wasn't mad at the lady. On the contrary, despite his very long career in politics, being interviewed still made him feel tall. For someone of such a small physical stature he had managed to reach astronomical career heights – and now he was going for the real thing, the jackpot, the history books.

No, he kept his expression serious because this election campaign had already taught him a lesson. Jumping up and down anywhere near news cameras with an idiotic grin on your face was not an ideal way of making the history books, especially when the above-mentioned public display of a good time occurred in the background of a press conference dealing with victims of a devastating natural disaster.

Admittedly, a man with his experience should have known that such action would not win him any brownie points with his electorate, but you also had to keep the sponsors happy. Well, duh!

He was no monster; he felt sorry for the victims, but in the same detached way everybody else felt sorry for virtual people on the news, aspiring Chancellor or not.

So, this time, walking through another disaster area – or was it a deprived area? He couldn't remember off the top of his hat – he looked grim, even if his heart jumped with joy at this opportunity to undo the damage caused by the last PR disaster.

"What are the first things you would address if you were elected?" the lady asked.

The man grinned. He had demanded to focus the campaign on policy, not personality, and his team had anticipated this question.

As usual, his voice was louder than a helicopter at take-off. No charisma? Use volume.

"We will drive forward digitalisation, not only on an administrative level but also concerning business and industry. Secondly, we will introduce new and efficient ways to conquer the climate crisis."

Ha, there! Speech delivered beautifully. The cute lady reporter looked duly impressed and he was so going to win this thing. He bit his tongue to suppress a grin.

"Can you give your electorate a third point that is central to your party programme?" The reporter's voice was sweet.

The ensuing silence was louder than a jackhammer.

The man's brain whirled. Another one? This was worse than school. He had already given her two things. What else did she want?

The man's gaze shifted to the left. He looked up into the sky, no doubt asking a higher power for guidance. He didn't pay his Catholic tax for nothing after all.

God reminded him of every great politician's rhetoric ability to say nothing in a thousand words. Hallelujah! No problem.

"Joaaah, what else are we gonna do?" He couldn't believe himself that he had spoken those words out loud – in front of cameras as well. To mitigate the damage, he quickly added, "Well, you understand this is a rather unexpected question. I will have to get back to you on that one."

While the reporter was picking her jaw up from the floor, he suppressed a groan. Another failed interview! He feared he would really have to read that inconsequential gibberish of his party programme now.