Mother and son (#lazy)

Ben

"Ben!" I hear my mum scream. "It's late. Get your lazy bottom out of bed this minute!"

I grab my pillow and pull it over my ears tightly, humming Green Day's Good Riddance to myself, not a hundred percent sure whom I'm trying to get out of my head.

Reality recedes.

Until my mother snatches the pillow off my face, her face beetroot red and pulled into an angry mask.

"School starts in 20 minutes, and I have to leave for work. For crying out loud, Ben, she's no excuse for your laziness. She left you, yes. And it hurts. I get that. We've all been there, but life goes on. Now, stop being a baby and get moving! I never liked the stupid cow anyway! You were wasting your life with her."

The last two sentences pierce my heart more than anything else my mother has said to me since Jennifer broke up with me on Sunday.

"Go away!" I shout and turn around. "I hate school! And I hate you!"

Before my nose nearly kisses the wall, I see something whir past my ears and strike my cheek.

I gasp, desperately trying to hold back the tears. I haven't cried in years. Then again, I haven't been left by my girlfriend and smacked by my mother within four days of each other ever before.

Mum doesn't get it. I love Jen. I know it's only been eight months. It might not sound much but it feels like a lifetime to me. A lifetime that is now gone. Poof! One minute, Jen was there all the time. Even when she wasn't! Now, she's gone. And she was everything to me. Why is mother driving the knife that Jen stuck into my heart even deeper? The heartless cow! I hate her!

Mother

Helplessly and ashamed of myself, I stomp out of Ben's room. I'd love to strangle the little bitch, believe me. All Jennifer has ever done for my son, was leading him by the nose. Jennifer said, Ben did. And what thanks did he get? A kick in the teeth, that's what.

I'm trying my best to support Ben here. Why doesn't he see that? Surely, once he realises what a waste of space Jennifer is, he'll get over the whole thing.

And now I've smacked him! Knowing he is really just hurting. But lying in bed like a stranded fish, washing your own future down the toilet, all because of some stupid teenage Barbie doll with fake lashes and extensions on the lookout for a meal ticket? Open your eyes, Ben!

I'm a single mum. Fell for a guy who was just after one thing. Left me before the baby was on my hip and with a lifetime of minimum wage jobs.

I just don't get it. Why is Ben so determined not to learn from my mistakes?

Grabbing my car keys, I slam the door and sink into the driver's seat of my little old banger. Finally, the tears win. I slam my hands over my eyes.

"I'm just trying to help, Ben!" I mutter. "Please, don't hate me!"