Chapter 2

In the last few years, Reed and I had crawled out of our debt, and had upgraded our lab and remodeled most of the penthouse of the Baxter building.

            I was working at the huge circular station in the lab, tracking the anomalies while Reed took a break to work on our secret project. I heard Sue come in, and shut it all down.

            “Hi, honey,” she said, going over to Reed. I nonchalantly turned and smiled. “Hi Maggie.”

            “We have a 5 day countdown, I repeat a 5 day countdown,” I said, chuckling, before turning back to my back up project.

            “You’re adorable,” she said dryly. “The city’s trying to charge us for three cars they say we destroyed during that armored car heist. But I only remember two cars being thrown.”

            Reed mumbled something.

            “I iced down one for Ben to throw, and it shattered on impact,” I told her.

            “Oh,” she said, and frowned. “Okay, thanks!”

            “You got it,” I told her, and went back to work on my latest grant sponsored project.

            “Reed,” she said, and I looked back to see the PDA gone.

            “Oh, you’re in trouble now,” I said.

            “Maggie, give us a sec,” Sue said, glaring. I held up my hands, and shut down my project, and wandered out my hands in my lab coat pockets.

            “I’m hungry anyway. You guys want anything?”

            “No thanks,” they both said.

            “Whatever you say,” I said, and wondered into the kitchen. I looked in the fridge, and found the leftovers from my and Johnny’s last bet. I smiled, and put it in the microwave.

            I hopped on the counter and waited for it to finish. When it was, I reached over and pulled it out, eating right there.

            “Damn it,” Johnny cursed as he walked in. “I was going for that.”

            “Sucks,” I said through the food, and grinned with my mouth full.

            He strolled over, hands in pockets, looking innocent. I narrowed my eyes, pulling my food away from him.

            “You want to share,” he asked, standing right in front of me, puppy eyes turned on.

            “Nope,” I said, and took another scoop of the Chinese, eating it without guilt. He had done the same to me many times.

            “Please,” he said, moving my legs so he could stand between them. I was still skeptic. He had also taken the food I had gotten by distracting me before.

            “Johnny,” I said, holding my chopsticks up warningly.

            “Come on, babe,” he said, and started to kiss me. I still kept my food at a safe distance. Or what I thought was safe. He snagged it, and ran away, giggling like a child.

            “Johnny!” I shouted, and hopped down to chase after him.

            “Oh, come on, I just want one little bite,” he said, and stopped in the living room behind one of the couches. I was on the other side, glaring at him, holding the chop sticks.