Chapter 3

A few nights later, I was working in the lab when the electronic butler signaled there was someone at the door. I got up, not sure if Sue would get it.

            When I got there, I saw Sue with several military looking people. I recognized General Haeger.

            “We’re looking for Dr. Richards,” General Haeger said. A few years ago, Reed and I had testified that his defensive missile plan wouldn’t work.

            “General Haeger,” I said, walking over.

            “Where’s the other one of you?” he asked.

            “Reed is out tonight, but is there anything I can do for you?” I asked.

            “Yes, you can take me to see the other Dr. Richards,” he said. I glared.

             “Okay,” Sue said, and gave me a look telling me to behave.

            We went down and rode in the huge SUV the general had come in. I rolled my eyes. Seemed like he was compensating for something.

            “What do you think this is about,” Sue murmured.

            “Global disturbances,” I murmured back.

            She nodded, and we finally got to the bar that Johnny had planned for Reed’s bachelor party. We walked in, and the first thing we see is Reed dancing with two… scantily dressed women.

            “There he is,” the general said amusedly.

            “Yes,” Sue said. “Unfortunately… for him. Shall we?” she asked when Reed spotted her.

            “I’ll go find Johnny and Ben,” I told them.

            I looked around and spotted them at the bar at the same time they spotted me. They turned around quickly, and I smirked.

            I waded through the crowd, and got to the bar, and snuck up behind them, clapping them on the shoulder.

            “Not going to be that easy, boys,” I said, and gestured for both of them to follow me. I saw the Reed, Sue, and the General head for the kitchen. I followed.

            “How do Reed and Maggie know the general?” I heard Sue ask Ben.

            He explained the missile defense plan testimony quickly.

            “I’m only here, Richards one, Richards two, because I’m under direct orders from the Joint Chiefs of Staff,” the General said, looking between us. “Personally, I don’t like sharing sensitive information with two civilian scientists. Especially when they enjoy the… public spotlight so much.”

            “Always a pleasure to see you, too, General,” Reed said, leaning against the counter. “What can I do for you?”

            “As you may know, there have been recent unknown occurrences all over the world. Officially, we’ve downplayed their significance to the public, but we’re concerned that these anomalies may pose a threat to our national security.”

            “These were taken by one of our spy satellites the other day,” one of the general’s lieutenants said, and she handed Reed and I pictures. We scanned our separate piles, and then traded.