Chapter 10

The next part was waiting for Sue to come back. 

            There was a knock, and I walked over and looked at the guard who was confused.

            “Does the general need us?” I asked, and felt Sue slip past me.

            “No ma’am,” he said, and shook his head. “There must have been a knock down the hall.”

            “Okay,” I said, smiling. “This We’ll Defend, and all that.” I closed the door, looking at Johnny. “That’s the army motto.”

            “Whatever,” he grumbled.

            “What you get?” I asked her.

            “He serves the destroyer,” she said. “Galactus, he called him. He’s just protecting his planet and his love back home. And the board is what’s drawing it here,” she said.

            “How do we fight something that can eat planets?” Johnny asked.

            “We have to get to that board,” I said.

            Reed nodded. “We need it away from here before it’s too late.”

            “You think the general will go for that?” Ben asked.

            “He’ll have no choice,” Reed said.

             “Ben, would you like the honors?” I asked him, gesturing to the door.

            “With pleasure,” he said, and went to the door. Once the guard was knocked out, we snuck out.

We headed for the room the board was being kept in. Once we were in the hall, a huge piece of cement wall flew at us. I felt Johnny grab my waist and pull me out of the way, causing us to switch powers in the process.

 Sue, Johnny, and I got up, and Johnny and I switched powers back the boring way, just me touching his shoulder. We looked to where the cement had come from. There was a hole in the wall. We looked back and saw it was squished against the wall.

“Ben,” Johnny said, and the wall fell over. We saw Ben smashed into the wall.

“Okay,” he said. “That one hurt.”

“Where’s Reed?” Sue asked, and we looked around.

“Right here,” Reed said, muffled . We looked to where it came from. Behind Ben.

Ben stepped out of his little wall indentation, and Reed was squished behind him.

He popped back out, perfectly fine. Johnny and I looked at each other in relief, and we started for the lab the board had been kept in.

The containment unit was destroyed, and the general was in pieces, looking like an ash sculpture.

“Reed,” Sue said, pointing to the general.

“I’ll give you three guesses as to who did this. Bet it only takes one,” I said.

“Victor,” Reed cursed. “We’ve got to get it back.”

“The surfer,” I said. “Maybe now that the board is free, he can contact it, shove Victor off.”

“Maybe,” Reed said. “Unlikely.”

“Well, I’m all for hope at this point. At the very least, he can help us figure out how to knock Victor off,” I said.

“Even if we break him out of this place, how are we going to catch up with Victor?” Ben asked.