Chapter 8

The general looked at Reed expectantly.

            “Ben, let him go,” Reed told him. Ben threw him down, and stepped back. “How is this possible? How are you still alive.”

            “No thanks to you five,” he said, getting up, wiping off his shoulder. “That’s for certain.”

            “Von Doom’s made contact with the alien,” the General said. “He’s got valuable Intel.”

            “Information that just might help save the planet,” Victor said, walking towards us.  “Now, let’s be clear about this, shall we. I hate you. All of you. But the world’s at stake, and we need to work together to survive.”

            “And you, of course, have no ulterior motive,” I said, looking right at him.

            “General, we know firsthand, you trust Victor, you’re going to regret it,” Reed told him.

            “The only one I’m regretting trusting here, Richards, is you,” the general said.

            I glared as Victor smirked.

“Reed, don’t agree to this,” Ben said.

“Let’s see what he’s got,” Reed said, and looked back at Sue and I. I clenched my jaw and watched Victor’s body language. He was obviously hiding something, but there was nothing wrong with seeing what he had.

I nodded, and saw Sue nod as well.   

We walked to a room where Victor showed us the recording of his encounter with the Surfer. I stood by Reed, and watched carefully.

“I made a detailed recording of our… little encounter,” Victor said.

“All that you know, is at an end,” the surfer said. Well, that wasn’t ominous.

Then he shot Victor, shooting out both of his arms. I lifted a brow at the sheer power it had used.

“Fascinating,” I murmured.

“I like the part where he knocks you on his ass,” Ben said from behind Victor.

Reed and I looked at each other trying not to laugh.

“Look at where the energy levels surge when he attacks me,” Victor said, and walked towards the screen.

“The energy’s channeled through him, but,” I started, nodding as he played it back.

“Originated from his board,” Reed finished, nodding.

“That’s disgustingly familiar,” Victor said, and we both shot a glare at him. “If we separate him from the board, we can cut off his power completely,” Victor continued.

I looked at him, curious as to where the sudden boost in confidence had come from. Then again, he was a narcissist with a God complex. It probably came from him stating the obvious.

“Then that’s what we need to do,” the General said.

“How?” Johnny asked.

“If I knew that, I wouldn’t need you people, would I,” he said, and I tensed at that, hands starting to ice. I took a deep breath.

“Keep calm,” Reed murmured. “You’re chilling the room every time you do that by a few degrees.”

I nodded, and brought it back in.

“You three should get started right away,” the general said and walked out.

Reed and I looked at each other, annoyed looks on our faces.