chapter 25 . the civilian

Hunter - International Armed Forces - Mainland

Hunter didn't know what compelled him to stay rooted to his spot even after seeing the vehicle leave his sight.

He just kept looking ahead as Haven also took off moments ago.

Thankfully, Maroon was quietly waiting few steps behind Hunter, not disturbing whatever was happening to him.

The woman's face in those last few moments flashed before his eyes but they disappeared the moment he blinked.

He was not prepared for the effect she left on him in this short time.

She was just another woman. She was like any other woman he had ever encountered so why was it?

He still had control over his thoughts but why did they beg him to let them go so that they could go to her?

A part of himself, a feeling that never spoke before, wanted, no trusted her to take control but.. he couldn't possibly do that.

That was outrageous.

He couldn't possibly trust a woman she barely knew even though she proved to them several times that she was capable of protecting their lives.

A hand on his shoulder brought him back to his reality.

"They must be on the border by now Cap." Maroon reminded him.

Blinking his eyes once more to clear his mind accompanied with a small breath he took in, he opened his eyes back.

He was about to turn around and get into the building to support the mission when the oh so familiar sound reached his ears and his body instantly moved towards the sound to detect the source even though he knew what it was.

"Cap, that was.."

"I know Maroon."

His eyes immediately detacted the dust that lifted of to the air, spreading as a gust of wind carried it around.

His mind emptied out any other thought that was in there and his senses almost went into an automated mode.

His feet carried him into the building with Maroon on his tail.

One of his hands reached behind his back to grab the device that would connect him to Brit.

The call was answered almost immediately.

"Brit, your status."

"South border patrol team and the civilian is unharmed and responsive. The explosion happened about three kilometres away from the South border. I sent Haven back. Where do you want me?"

As soon as Brit said the info he had on the explosion, Maroon sprinted up the stairs to inform mission control while Hunter was on his way to the colonel.

"It was probably a planted attack. They won't show themselves to open fire but we will still send men out there just in case. I want you back here with Vanessa. Take her to A7-S until we are done out there. She won't be going back out there anytime soon."

"Understood. I will move as soon as I assess that the area is clear."

The call ended and Hunter picked up his pace but he almost collided with the colonel he was in search for.

Before he completely disconnected himself from the rest of the world and gave himself to the war he was in, one last thought crossed his mind.

That was very close to them.

*-*

Vanessa - International Armed Forces - South Border

"Brit, your status."