chapter 5 . unexpected intervention

It was hard to get him back on his feet but once we did, he kept on moving forward.

We got out of the house. The clinic was not too far away but it was not near either. It took 5 minutes to get there with a fully functioning person but with a bleeding man, I knew it would take much more than 5 minutes.

"We're almost there." I informed him.

As soon as saw the little white building, I started to relax just a bit. I took a deep breath when we finally reached the door. Esther started look for the right keys in the dark and I was trying to hold Haven up.

"Finally." I heard Esther exclaimed.

"Who?" I almost fall on to my knees when I heard a voice that was filled with a heavy accent. I heard Esther taking a deep breath and with that, she faced the stranger.

She took her ID out. "Doctor." was the only word that she said.

I could see him pointing to the man I was trying to hold. "Who?"

"Visitor for documents. Arm broke." Her simple English sounded cold.

She knew moew of the local language then she let them know but she only used that knowledge for her patients.

In a quick moment, the rebel reached out to touch Haven's nape. I understood then that he was looking for his tag.

I thanked God in that moment that we were smart enough to think about it.

The man finished his search on the almost unconcious Haven and turned around. "Do fast." Just like that, he disappeared.

"Thank God, thank God. That was too close for comfort."

After this, we moved quickly to the little room that kind of looked like a operation room but not exactly. It was more like an examination room.

Esther turned to me. "Keep pressing on his wound. I felt the bullet near his back, it didn't exit. I'll start to stitch the damaged vessels in the enterance wound as best as I can. My best bet would be to not remove the bullet since I think it has not broken any bones. Taking it out would be too much work and not taking it out will not damage him.

She injected something right before starting whatever she was doing. Ever so often, she told him what exactly she was doing.

"I'm doing local anesthesia."

"I'm cleaning the wound."

"I'm starting to stitch."

And just like that, an hour passed. She did many things in a short amount of time. It was hard to keep Haven awake but we managed to do so thanks to out terrible jokes and embarrasing memories we told him.

After everything was done and Esther was cleaned, she allowed Haven to sleep after putting him on some IV. He fell asleep instantly.After we were sure that he was alright, we started to clean the room.

"Will he be able to go back to his base? You know he can't be here in the morning."

Esther let out a big sigh. "I guess he can. A normal person would not be able to but since he is a soldier and with all the endurance training he must've gone through, he should be able to gain his strength back fairly fast. I'm sure he has been through worst. After some sleep, he should be able to get back up."

We were almost done when I accidentally bumped to his side and something fell out of his pocket. Esther was the one who noticed it. She held it up for me to see it. "It looks like a little cube. It doesn't have a button or anything." She was holding it between her thumb, index and middle finger.

She pressed down, nothing happened.

"Let me see. It should have some kind of function. He doesn't look like the kind of guy to keep useless stuff on him."

Esther threw it towards me and it was easy to catch it.

I too, pressed all surfaces and nothing happened. After looking closely for a few more seconds, I noticed the slight difference on one of the edges. I pressed my finger on it but nothing changed. Then I got my nails into it and tried to really reach its edge point.

Esther slumped onto the chair near her as she talked."I guess it has no use." I tried not to look too disappointed as I put the little cube carefully on a little table.

Just as I was thinking about ways to get him back to his base, a phone buzzed moments after Esther talked. I could feel the phone that I took with me incase of an emergency buzzing in my pocket. This phone only had lines to few specific numbers and it was useless other than that.

I looked up to her and she said with a carefree voice "I guess it has a function after all. Go on, answer it."

*-*

(2020) I mean, I know you guys are smart and you can guess what is happening here lol I'm trying my best to get these two opposite poles to clash. Hope you liked it.

Question of the part : What is a food that is a guilty pleasure?

Love you all and see you next time. Peace -ONM