Chapter 4 - Mindblowing

"Well that still doesn't explain why I'm here." I say, ripping my arm from his grip.

"You're my chosen wife..."

Chosen? Wife? What? Me? No! Really?

"What are you talking about?! Are you crazy?" I yell while stepping away from him.

"No honey. I'm Zane." He answers, a smirk on his face.

"I don't understand this!" I shout again.

"Veronica can you please stop walking backwards. I'm not going to hurt you."

"Would you care to enlighten me about what the hell all this is? Why am I your chosen wife? I'm only 17. I'm still in school. Why me?" I ask, stopping when my legs hit the side of the couch.

"You are born into the mafia Veronica. I just turned 22 so that means I have to get married. And you were the lucky pick." He says smiling, walking a little closer to me.

"Well I sure as hell don't feel lucky." I mumble quietly. But somehow he heard my statement very clearly.

In one single step he is in front of me, hovering over me.

"You don't know what you're missing Ronnie." He says and I can feel his warm breath against my skin.

He's one of those that thinks he is good at everything he does. So annoying.

"Already have a nickname for me?" I say stepping closer to him just to tempt him.

He smirks and inches his face closer to mine. I look at his lips and up to his eyes. I inch closer to his lips and quickly turn around and walk away.

He groans loudly and I turn around to look at him.

"Something wrong Zane?" I ask with a smirk on my face.

"Don't ever do that again!" He says loudly. I stop dead in my tracks. That kind of scared me. I didn't think he would be angry that I did that.

"Veronica. Do you know who I am?" He ask and walks closer to me. I stand as still as I can and shake my head.

"I'm the mafia boss Veronica. Everything I want, I get. And everything I say, goes. Do you understand?"

I am not sure if he is serious or if he is joking. His mood changed within two seconds. Mindblowing.

He stops in front of me and grabs my waist, pulling our bodies closer together.

"I said. Do. You. Understand?" He says lowly, looking me straight in the eye.

I nod my head slowly. "I can't hear you Veronica." He says, holding me tighter.

"Yes."

He looks at me and before I can say anything else he crashes his lips onto mine.

My eyes widen and I feel like my body is going into shock. Tingles are rushing through my arms and legs. It feels like my legs can't hold me up anymore. I grab onto his unbuttoned shirt and to my surprise I kiss him back.

I can feel him smile and he then pulls away. He walks to the kitchen and I am left missing the warmth of his body. Wow. No. Wait. What.

I walk upstairs to my room and close the door. I was scared of him for a little bit there, then he kissed me and I liked it so I kissed him back. I've only met this guy like 2 hours ago.

I think I just need a hot shower and a good nights rest.

I walk to my new closet and get out a pair of sweatpants and a oversized T-shirt. I walk to the bathroom, close the door and start to shower.

The warm water is warmer than I have ever felt at the orphanage. It burns my skin, but in a good way. It relaxes every muscle in my body and I sigh in relieve.

I climb out of the shower and dry myself off. I put my clothes on and walk to the bed. As I climb inside, I hear a knock on the door.

"Come in"

Zane walks in and sits down on the edge of the bed in front of me.

"Veronica. I'm sorry I lashed out on you earlier. I didn't mean to scare you. I'm really sorry." He says. He looks sad. I actually feel sorry for him.

"It's fine Zane."

"No Ronnie it's not fine. We have to get married and you have to feel safe. When my dad told me he was going to choose me a wife, I was actually scared. What if I don't like her. What if she is bitchy. I've always wanted someone to love me as much as I love her. Now..."

I thought he was one of that tough guys that thinks too much of themselves, but he is opening up to me. I feel like I can trust him.

"Yeah, me too. I've always had this picture in my head of one day meeting the love of my life and living happily ever after. It sounds kinda dumb." I say. Saying that out loud sounds pathetic. It sounds like some kind of Disney movie.

Zane scoots closer to me. "Veronica. When I saw you in that dirty clothes in the orphanage this morning, I thought I would never be able to even like you. But the way you care for the children and worry about school...it's something I've never seen before. And to be honest, you're actually kinda hot. I'm glad my dad chose you."

My eyes starts to water and I feel like I am breaking from the inside. No one has ever made me feel this way. Made me feel wanted.

He smiles and reaches his hand up to my cheek to wipe away the single tear that just slipped from my eye.

His touch feels like magic and I lean into him. I close my eyes without even noticing.

"You really are beautiful." He says and I quickly open up my eyes.

"Veronica Lynwood. It has a nice ring to it." He says and I instantly smile. I've never smiled this much.

"Woah there mister. We haven't even been on our first date yet." I say playing with my hands in my lap.

"Well it doesn't matter. You don't really have a choice."

"Oh Zane. I always have a choice." I say. He smiles and tucks a strand of my hair behind my ear. He stands up and walks out the door.

Before he fully closes the door he stops and says, "Goodnight Ronnie."

I smile and answer, "Night Lynwood."

*
*
*
*

Christii