Chapter 9 - Every small detail

I feel strong arms picking me up. Warmth surrounds me and I feel safe.

I hear a door open and my eyes fly open. I have no idea where I am and everything inside me starts to panic.

My body starts to shake and tears prickle my eyes. I bury my face in the chest that holds me tight.

I hear a chuckle and realise something. I look up and the eyes I see isn't the ones I know. It isn't Zane. It's someone else...

Someone I don't know...

I scream as loud as I can and push at the arms holding me. "Leave me alone! Don't touch me! Please!"

The man is looking at me with wide eyes and he immediately puts me down on the ground.

Another man comes rushing in with eyes just as wide as the one who held me. And when he rounds the corner I see it's Zane.

"What the fuck did you do to her man?!" Zane shouts.

"Nothing Zee!! She just started fucking shouting out of nowhere!" The man says.

Zane comes rushing to me and wraps his arms around me. "Are you okay Veronica?"

I hold onto his shirt and bury my face in his chest. Tears fall from my eyes and stain his shirt. "Hey it's fine babygirl. You're okay."

He rubs soothing circles on my back with his big warm hands. His other hand reaches my hair and he kisses my forehead.

I pull back and look at him with bloodshot eyes. "Where are we?"

"We're at one of my safe houses." Zane answers

"Why?"

"Because I have to keep you safe babygirl"

He looks at me with an emotion in his eyes that I have never seen before. He has a small smile on his face and leaves a kiss on my forehead.

He walks to the kitchen and gestures me to follow.

"You must be hungry. What do you want to eat?" He asks

"Nothing I'm fine." I answer. I only ate the marshmallows this morning so I'm actually over my hunger.

"Veronica you have to eat. What have you even eaten today?"

"I ate marshmallows."

He looks at me and the expression on his face seems angry. "For the whole fucking day?!"

I flinch at his loud voice and only nod, not meeting his eyes.

"Sit down. I'm making you a meal."

"I'm not hungry Zane I -." Before I can finish protesting he interrupts me, "Sit down."

I decide that it isn't worth it arguing with him so I sit just sit down.

He turns around and start getting the ingredients he needs.

The guy from earlier comes into the kitchen and stands next to me. My eyes grow wide as I feel the scared emotions running through my body. My head starts hurting again and I stumble off the chair.

Zane turns around and say something to me but I can't hear a word he says. He looks worried and makes his way over to me.

I grab onto him and start to panic again. I try to keep my breathing under control but it's to hard.

"Veronica breath." Zane looks at me with stern eyes and holds onto my waist. "Breath Veronica!" His loud voice shoots through the room and it triggers the memories I tried so hard to forget.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. Please don't do this. I'm sorry. Please don't hurt me." I squeeze my eyes shut feeling his breath on me. His cold hands. His awful smell. I feel the cold cell floor beneath me. Everything hurts. Fresh tears are running over the dried ones on my cheek.

"I'm sorry. Please don't. It won't happen again. Please don't. I promise I'll be good." I can see the smirk on his face. His bright yellow teeth. His filthy hands roaming my body. I can see every small detail clearly.

*
*
*
*
Christii