Chapter 10 - Open your eyes

Zane's POV

Veronica is sill clinging onto my arms. She keeps pleading, saying, "don't hurt me", "please don't do this", "I promise I'll be good". I have no idea what she is talking about. I know we haven't known each other for that long but I thought she knew I won't hurt her. I want to make her feel safe.

"Please don't sir. Please I'll behave." She says again.

"Veronica I'm not going to hurt you. Stop saying that." She keeps thrashing in my arms and I'm scared that if I let go of her she is going to run away and hurt herself.

"Veronica look at me. Look at me Love."

She keeps crying and pleading over and over again.

"It's me babygirl. It's me. Please look at me. Please Love. Open your eyes. Look at me."

I give her a kiss on her forehead and hold her tight in my arms. She thrashes more but I hold her tighter. I rub soothing circles on her skin trying to comfort her.

The thrashing slows down and so does her breathing. She melts into me and her body feels so small in my arms.

"You're okay Love."

She looks up at me with bloodshot eyes and I feel a pang of sadness in my chest at the sight of her.

"I'm sorry." She says

"For what?"

"For you having to see me like this. I tried to stop thinking about it but every time I see a man I don't know I am reminded of it. And every time you shout..."

Every time I shout? Oh fuck! This is all my fault! I caused this. I caused her to have such a huge panic attack.

"I am so sorry Veronica. I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I don't know you."

She's right. She doesn't know me. And clearly I don't know her either.

"Well we have to do something about that then." I say. If stuff like this happens often I have to know everything about it. I have to know what triggers her. So that means I have to know why it happens. Why is she experiencing this? What happened to her?

"I'm tired." She says and step away from my hold.

"You haven't eaten anything Veronica." I don't like it that she doesn't eat. She is small as it is and now she doesn't want to eat. That has to stop.

"I'm not hungry. Goodnight Zane."

I want to follow her. I want to hold her while she sleeps. I want to keep het safe in my arms. Fuck! What is she doing to me?!

The only thing I do is say, "Goodnight."

She turns and walks up the stairs to her room. I let Jason -the guy who carried Ronnie inside and scared her in the kitchen- put her luggage in the room next to mine. He's my best friend, cousin and also second in command in my mafia.

He only dropped us off. He is staying at my house to see if the person sending Ronnie these notes isn't anywhere to be seen.

It really scares me that a wonderful girl like Veronica has been through horrible times and she's only seventeen.

I walk up the stairs to my room. I open the door to Veronica's room just to check if she's okay. Her small figure looks peaceful as she sleeps and I feel the sudden urge to climb into bed with her and wrap her up in my arms.

Fuck I can't believe she has this affect on me even when she's asleep. She really is the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. I'm really glad my dad chose her.

*
*
*
*
Christii