m a t c h i n g ✧

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

"Billy!" Patrick called as soon as he got out of the car.

I turned toward the house, beckoning to Jayden as I ducked under the porch. I heard Patrick greeting them loudly behind me.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't see you behind the wheel, Jay," he said disapprovingly.

"We get permits early on the rezo," Jayden said while I unlocked the door and flicked on the porch light.

"Of course you do," Patrick laughed.

"I have to get around somehow." I recognized Billy's resonant voice easily, despite the years. The sound of it made me feel suddenly younger, a child. I went inside, leaving the door open behind me and turning on the lights before I hung up my jacket. Then 'I stood in the door, watching anxiously as Patrick  and Jayden helped Billy out of the car and into his wheelchair.

I backed out of the way as the three of them hurried in, shaking off the rain.

"This is a surprise," Patrick was saying.

"It's been too long," Billy answered. "I hope it's not a bad time." His dark eyes flashed up to me again, their expression unreadable.

"No, it's great. I hope you can stay for the game."

Jayden grinned. "I think that's the plan — our TV broke last week."

Billy made a face at his son. "And, of course, Jayden was anxious to see Billie again," he added. Jayden scowled and ducked his head while I fought back a surge of remorse. Maybe I'd been too convincing on the beach. My eyes looked everywhere but him, not noticing he was doing the same with me.

"Are you hungry?" I asked, turning toward the kitchen. I was eager to escape Billy's searching gaze.

"Naw, we ate just before we came," Jayden answered.

"How about you, Patrick?" I called over my shoulder as I fled around the corner.

"Sure," he replied, his voice moving in the direction of the front room and the TV. I could hear Billy's chair follow.

The grilled cheese sandwiches were in the frying pan and I was slicing up a tomato when I sensed someone behind me.

"So, how are things?" Jayden asked.