p r e d a t o r s ⍤

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

⌈

Jess drove faster than the Chief, so we made it to Port Angeles by four. It had been a while since I'd had a girls' night out, and the estrogen rush was invigorating. The ride consisted of whiny rock songs, with Jessica's jabbering about boys in the background. Jessica's date with Mike went well and, she hopes that by Saturday they would have progressed to the first-kiss stage. I smiled to myself, pleased. Angela was passively happy to be going to the dance, but not 'really' interested in Eric.

Jess tried to get her to confess who her type was, but I interrupted with a question about dresses, to spare her. Angela threw a grateful glance my way.

Port Angeles was a beautiful little tourist trap, much more polished and quaint than Forks. But Jessica and Angela knew it well, so they didn't plan to waste time on the picturesque boardwalk alongside the bay. Jess drove straight to the one big department store in town, which was a few streets in from the bay area's visitor-friendly face.

The school billed the dance as semi-formal, and we weren't exactly sure what that meant. Both Jessica and Angela seemed surprised and almost disbelieving when I told them I'd never been to a dance in Phoenix.

"Didn't you ever go with a boyfriend or something?" Jess asked as we walked through the front doors of the store.

"Really," I tried to convince her, not wanting to confess my dancing problems. "I've never had a boyfriend or anything close. I didn't go out much."

"Why not?" Jessica demanded.

"No one asked me," I answered honestly.

She looked skeptical.

Can't she drop it already?