m o v e ☼

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

⌈

I stuck my head out the window, the wind flying my hair in every direction as my Mom dropped me off at the airport.

It was 77º degrees in los angeles, the sky was cloudless and a shade of baby blue.

Although it was hot, I was wearing my favourite jumper as well as lustre gold chains running from my neck to my chest. I was wearing it as a farewell gesture, having my notebook in my hand as my carry on luggage.

In the Olympic Peninsula of northwest Washington State, a small town named Forks exists under a near-constant cover of clouds. It has the highest "track-record" of rain than any other place in the United States of America.

It was from this town and it's gloom of despondency that drove my mother to escape with me. I was only a few months old. In this town, each summer I would spend time with my dad Patrick, up until I was fourteen. That year I had put my foot down. These past three summers, Patrick and I would vacation in Phoenix, Florida. Another sunny place, though it still didn't help me to fit in with the other students, tanned and all.

I detested forks and it's depressing state but now I'm finding myself, at my own will, travelling to stay there.

I loved los angeles. The sun and the blistering heat. I even loved the vigorous city.

"Bil" my mom said to me - the last of a thousand times - before I got on the plane.

"You don't have to do this."

My mother looks like me, except with short naturally coloured hair and laugh lines. I felt adrenaline and panic through my veins as I stared at her wide, childlike eyes. How could I leave my loving, erratic, harebrained mother to fend for herself? Of course she had Phil now, so the bills would probably get paid, there would be food in the refrigerator, gas in her car and someone to call when she got lost, but still..

"I want to go," I lied. I'm a bad liar, always have been but it started to sound more convincing now that I have said it so many times.

"Tell Patrick I say hi."

"I will."

"I'll see you soon," she insisted.

"You can come back home whenever you want- I'll come right back when you need me."

But I could see the sacrifice in her eyes behind the promise.

"Don't worry about me," I urged

"It'll be great. I love you, mom."

She bear hugged me tightly for a minute, and then I got on the plane, opened my notebook with a pencil and looked up to see she was gone. It's a three hour flight from Los Angeles to Seattle, another hour in a small plane to port angeles and then another hour drive back to Forks. I didn't mind the flying, I enjoyed it. I was worried of the drive with Patrick.

Patrick was reasonably nice about the whole thing. He seemed genuinely pleased that I was coming to live with him for the first time with any degree of permanence. He'd already gotten me registered for High School and was going to help getting me a new car.

But it was sure to be awkward with Patrick. Neither of us was what someone would call verbose, and I didn't know what to say regardless. I knew he was more than a little confused by my decision - like my mother before me, I hadn't made a secret of my distaste for forks.

--

hope that was alright?