c r a s h ❄︎

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

When I woke up this morning, something was different.

It was the atmosphere, the setting, the lighting.

It was still the gray-green light of a cloudy day in the forest, but it was clearer somehow.

I realized there was no fog veiling my window.

I jumped out of bed to look outside, and then groaned in horror.

A fine layer of snow covered the yard, dusted the top of my truck, and whitened the road.

But that wasn't the worst part.

All the rain from yesterday had frozen solid —coating the branches on the trees in fantastic, gorgeous patterns, and making the driveway a deadly ice rink.

I had enough trouble not falling down when the ground was dry; it might be safer for me to go back to bed now.

Patrick had left for work before I got downstairs.

In a lot of ways, living with Patrick was like having my own place, and I found myself reveling in the aloneness instead of being lonely.

I threw down a quick bowl of granola and some orange juice from the carton.

I felt excited to go to school, and that scared me.

I knew it wasn't the stimulating learning environment I was anticipating, or seeing my new set of friends.

If I was being honest with myself, I knew I was eager to get to school because I would see Grayson Dolan.

And that was very, very stupid.

I should be avoiding him entirely after my brainless and embarrassing babbling yesterday.

And I was suspicious of him; why should he lie about his eyes?

I was still frightened of the hostility I sometimes felt radiating from him, and I was still tongue-tied whenever I pictured his perfect face.

I was well aware that my league and his league were parallel lines, never going to touch. Therefore, I shouldn't be at all anxious to see him today.

It took every ounce of my concentration to make it down the icy brick driveway alive.

I almost lost my balance when I finally got to the truck, but I managed to cling to the side mirror and save myself.