c a f e t e r i a ♨︎

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

One girl walked with me to the cafeteria for lunch, she was sitting next to me in both Trig and Spanish.

She was tiny, several inches shorter than my five feet four inches, but her wildly curly dark hair made up a lot of the difference between our heights.

Her name was on the tip of my tongue yet I couldn't remember, so I smiled and nodded when she mumbled about classes and teachers.

We sat at the end of a full table with several of her friends, who she introduced me to.

She doesn't know how terrible my memory is and that I would forget their names immediately after she talked about them.

All of her friends seemed impressed by her courage to speak to me.

The boy from English, Eric, waved at me from across the cafeteria.

It was there, sitting in the lunchroom, trying to make conversation with seven inquisitive strangers, that I first saw them.

They were seated in the far corner, further away from any other table.

There were five of them.

None of them were talking, their trays of food were untouched.

They weren't gawking at me, unlike most of the other students, so it was safe to stare at them without fear of meeting an excessively interested pair of eyes. But it was none of these things that caught, and held, my attention.

None of them looked a-like, apart from two who looked almost identical.

Of the three boys, one was big-muscled like a weightlifter, with darker bronze curly hair.