n e w f r i e n d s ? ❈

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

I was glad to see that most of the cars were older like mine, nothing too flashy.

Even though at home I lived in one of the few lower-income neighbourhoods, you could still find a Porche, or two, or five, or seven.

The nicest car here was a shiny Volvo, and it stood out.

Still, I find the nearest spot to park so that the thunderous volume wouldn't draw attention.

My attention was brought to the map, trying to memorise where al of the blocks were.

I took a deep breath as I swing by bag over shoulder, getting out of the truck.

I kept my head down as I had walked past the cars and into the school entrance.

I can do this, I lied to myself.

Nobody is going to bite me.

Block three was easy to find, just around the corner after finding the cafeteria.

A large "3" was painted on a white square on the red brick building.

Every step I took, the more and more my breath was creeping towards hyper-ventilation.

I tried to hold my breath following the 2 pairs of legs in front of me.

I looked up to find a rather small classroom.

The chipped- white painted ceiling had small little holes like the classrooms in California.

Way to make me feel at home.

The walls were covered with paper, some book covers and some posters from Shakespearian plays.

I put my coat on a hook, copying the two other people in front of me.

They were two girls, one a porcelain- coloured blonde, the other also pale, with light brown hair. At least my skin wouldn't be a standout here.

I walked up to the teacher, Mr Mason, according to his nameplate.

Luckily, he didn't make me introduce myself to the class and sent me to an empty desk at the back of the room.

It was harder for my new classmates to stare at me, the newcomer, the freak, but it still didn't stop them.

I kept my focus and head down at the reading list the teacher had given me.

It was nothing I hadn't read before; Brontë, Shakespeare, Chaucer, Faulkner.

It was boring.

A thought came to my head that my Mom could email me one of my old essays, but got shut down as she would've thought I was cheating.

My thoughts were interrupted by a nasal buzzing sound, the bell.

A scrawny boy with skin problems and hair black as an oil slick leaned across the aisle to talk to me.

"you're Billie O'Connell, aren't you?"

He looked like he would play chess for a living.

"Billie Eilish" I corrected.

Everyone within a three seat radius turned around to look at me.

"Where's your next class?"

I scrambled in my bag, finally finding my schedule.

"Um, Government, with Jefferson, in block six."

His overly-helpful self insisted he would help me find it.

We got our jackets and headed out into the rain which never seems to go away.

I was getting paranoid. How many people were eavesdropping? I could have sworn several people were, I had the feeling we were being watched.

"I'm Eric"

I gave him a small smile, nodding.

"thanks for helping" I added.

I then kept my head down again.

"So, this is a lot different than California, huh?"

"Very"

"It doesn't rain there often, right?"

"Three or four times a year"

"Wow, that must be nice" he wondered.

"Sunny," I told him.

"You don't look very tan."

"My mother is part albino"

He looked closely at my expression, I sighed.

I guess clouds and humour didn't mix.

I'll soon forget how to use sarcasm.

We walked the other way around from the cafeteria, I saw from a distance and outline of the number six.

Eric had stopped at another building which had been marked by the number four.

He had pointed at block six after wishing me good luck.

--

The rest of the morning had passed in about the same fashion.

My Trigonometry teacher, Mr Varner, who I may have hated anyway just because of the subject he taught, was the only one who made me stand in the front of the class and introduce myself.

My cheeks started to burn as they turned red, I stuttered twice in the first sentence and tripped on my own feet on the way to my seat.

After two classes, I started to recognize some of the faces in my class.

There were some brave ones that would introduce themselves and ask me questions about my liking towards Forks.

I tried to be diplomatic, but mostly I just lied a lot.

One plus was that I didn't need the map.

_______

a/n; soooo sorry I haven't posted in a while!!

I've just been away on a holiday but I will get back on a roll this week :)))

also slightly unedited :):