h o w ? ⚇

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

"Billie? Are you all right?"

I tried to sit up and realized he was holding me against the side of his body in an iron grasp.

"I'm fine."

My voice sounded strange.

"Be careful," he warned as I struggled to get up.

"I think you hit your head pretty hard."

I became aware of a throbbing ache centred above my left ear.

"Ow," I said, surprised.

"That's what I thought." His voice, amazingly, sounded like he was suppressing laughter.

"How in the..." I trailed off, trying to clear my head, get my bearings.

"How did you get over here so fast?"

"I was standing right next to you, Billie," he said, his tone serious again.

I turned to sit up, and this time he let me, releasing his hold around my waist and sliding as far away as he could in the limited space.

I looked at his concerned, innocent expression and was disoriented again by the force of his gold-coloured eyes.

What was I asking him?

And then they found us, a crowd of people with tears streaming down their faces, shouting at each other, shouting at us.

"Don't move," someone instructed.

"Get Tyler out of the van!" someone else shouted.

There was a mob forming around the van.

I tried to stand up, but Grayson's cold hand pushed my shoulder down.

"Just stay put for now."

"But it's cold," I complained.

It surprised me when he chuckled under his breath.

There was an edge to the sound.

"You were over there," I suddenly remembered, and his chuckle stopped short.