e n d o f d a y ⇢

〈ᴛᴡɪʟɪɢʜᴛ〉

When the school day finally came to an end, and the blush was fading out of my cheeks from the volleyball accident, I quickly changed back into my black baggy pants and orange shirt.

I hurried out of the girl's locker room, relieved to have successfully evaded my retriever friend for the moment.

The car park was annoyingly crowded with fleeing students.

I made it into the truck and dug through my bag to make sure I had everything I needed.

Last night, I had discovered Patrick didn't know how to cook anything but fried eggs and bacon.

So I requested for the rest of the duration of my stay, I will be taking on kitchen duties.

He was willing enough to give me the key to the banquet hall.

I also found out there was no food in the fridge, nor in the pantry.

So I had my shopping list and the cash from the jar in the cupboard labelled FOOD MONEY, and I was on my way to the Thriftway.

I gunned my deafening engine to life, ignoring the heads that turned in my direction, and reversed carefully into a place in the line of cars that were waiting in line to exit the car park.

As I waited, trying to pretend that the ear splitting rumble was coming from a different car, I saw the two Dolans and the Hale twins getting into their cars. It was the shiny new Volvo. Of course.

I hadn't noticed their clothes before- I'd been too mesmerized by their faces.

Now that I looked, it was obvious that they were all dressed exceptionally well; simply, but in clothes that subtly hinted at designer origins.

They were clothes you didn't often see around here.

With their remarkable good looks, the style which they carried themselves, they could have worn dishrags and pulled it off.

It seemed extra for them to have both looks and money.
But as far as I could tell, life worked that way most of the time.

It didn't look as if it bought them any acceptance here.

No, I don't fully believe that. The isolation must be their desire; I couldn't imagine any door that wouldn't be opened by that degree of beauty.