A Temporary Stay

"Yes, I'd like to rent a room for two, please." Linda stood in a hotel at the nearest town over, which had surprisingly not been remodeled.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but pets are not allowed." The receptionist nodded toward the cage.

"Well, what do you suggest? I won't leave them with just anyone!" Linda fussed.

"Linda," Tulio calmed, grabbing her shoulder. "I saw a pet hotel where they can stay for a few nights until we figure this out. It wouldn't hurt to leave them there."

"Tulio, do you not remember?" She asked. "The last time we did that, they..." She paused there, remembering Jewel was gone. "He, was stolen from YOUR aviary last time we did that."

"That was in Brazil under completely different circumstances. I'm sure they'll be fine."

Linda stared longingly into his eyes, begging him to reconsider. This continued for a few seconds, until the receptionist broke the silence. "Well, what is it going to be?"

Against her own conscience, Linda finally gave in to Tulio's more insistant stare. "Alright. A room for two please. We will leave our companions at the shelter."

The lady rapidly typed in information into the computer. "Who is the room for?"

"Linda and Tulio."

"Last name?"

"Monteiro."

"And your phone number, should we need to call you?"

"(55) 21 5342-11004," Tulio answered.

The receptionist gave Tulio a confused look, but typed it in anyway. After hitting enter, she reached behind her and grabbed a key. "Your room number is 106. Enjoy your stay!"

---------------

The room was very dark, apart from the area where a spotlight highlighted a cage and its immediate surroundings. The tall, black bird stood in the center of it all, awaiting further news from his scouts. He was far from disappointed; EVERYTHING was working out according to plan.

The mallard came flying across the warehouse to meet his boss, a smirk plastered on his face. "Everything is in place, sir."

"Good. And the humans?"

"Safely tucked away in a hotel room, a half-mile from our target. I've sent some of the flock to disable their vehicle once they reach their destination."

"Destination?"

"The CEO has invited the couple to dinner. Who knows why." Looking around, the parrot noticed the cage was empty. "You sure about this, sir?" he asked, nodding to the broken zip-ties.

The bird grinned an evil grin.