Invitation Received

It was late afternoon. The halls of the hotel were dimly lit by rows of wall-mounted candles. This stranger, wearing a tuxedo with no tie, strutted past the doors, a smug look on his face. In his robotic hand he held an envelope, so tightly gripped that it could not be stolen. He stopped at door number 106, looked both ways, and slipped it silently under the door before whistling his way back down the hall.

---------------

Linda was on the edge of the bed, head in her hands, crying. "I just... don't understand," she sobbed. "Martha was a responsible person. I trusted her to never give my shop to anyone."

"Sometimes, circumstances are a little too much for a person. It may be that she was pressured into selling to whoever is responsible for..."

A white envelope under the door interrupted Tulio.

"Hold that thought," Tulio requested. Linda looked up, wiping her eyes to see where Tulio was going.

"It's an envelope. Addressed to us, from... Kimura Enterprises?" Tulio began to open it as Linda stood by his side.

Dear Reader, it began. To whomever this may concern, I apologize for the inconvenience my employee caused you earlier this morning. It is my understanding that you came for answers. Any person has the right to get answers to the questions they have to ask. That is the purpose of this letter. I am using this letter to informally invite you to a dinner at the guest lounge. The address is listed at the end of this letter. I am willing to give you the answers you are looking for, but only if you come to dinner, as I have requested.

Sincerely, Katsu Kimura.

Linda and Tulio looked at each other in confusion.

"I don't even know this Katsu Kimura," Tulio stated.

"I heard that he'd been arrested in Mexico for selling an illegal, experimental weapon to a man named Killian. The agents responsible were also fired for committing acts of treason in the process of catching him."

"How do you know all this?" Tulio wondered.

"I am deeply interested in international news, now that I live in Brazil. I mainly follow the American Headlines."

"Do you think going to dinner is a good decision? I personally don't trust him."

"If it means getting answers, I say it's worth the risk."