Chapter Six

Midoriya's expression did not leave him alone after the two left, instead continuing to circle in his mind.
Ashen face with red-rimmed eyes, freckles standing out against the skin as though they'd been drawn with an eyeliner, hands shaking anxiously and lip being chewed on, eyes frantically darting from left to right to seemingly asses any possible dangers lurking around the corner.

'That's not how he was supposed to look like', was the first thing to come to mind, and what the hell, really, because how else was he supposed to look like?

Had it be him who'd have been accused of working with the League, selling information no less, Mirio would have up and left right away. Maybe become a villain for real, as in "you wanted a villain who could annihilate every last of you heroes? Here you go!"

That didn't seem like a method Midoriya would use though, his mind had always worked in a rather "prove them wrong and make them eat shit" kind of way. Sir Nighteye was one example to be named, after all, it did take a hell lot of an effort to get at least a single compliment out of him.
Mirio had been there from beginning to end, felt the rising tension between the two the moment Midoriya entered Sir's office, saw him berating and looking down on the green haired boy even if he did as much as breathe too loud, and heard him tell Izuku "You did a good job" and "a fine hero you'll make one day, not everyone has such potential" at last, after the Chisaki Raid was over.

... and yet, somehow, all the effort Midoriya put in to prove himself to Sir Nighteye weren't enough.

Somehow, he still ended up suspecting the boy of such acts anyone with the littlest amount of common sense knew were bullshit.

Mirio respected Sir Nighteye, and he had always thought him to be a wise man - not only due to his ability -, but now...

Were you supposed to respect someone who acted rashly and blindly jumped to conclusions? Who didn't even try to be subtle about it, and instead of sitting down and talking, explaining, cut off any contact and left the one person involved in all this mess in the dark?

He hoped Izuku would leave U.A after all this...

He deserved it, the fucking break, that is.

Despite only knowing the first year for a short period of time, there were a lot of... things Mirio picked up about him. The way he spoke, carried himself, acted in front of others, and the snippets he personally told Togata, fragments of his past told as a careless side thought, which caused Mirio to stop and think about the implication, worry about what else there was, while Midoriya already carried on with the next thought.

He didn't know the full extent of his underclassman's situation, didn't know if he ever would, but there was one thing that didn't even need any herculean deduction or detailed knowledge in human behavior to notice:

Midoriya needed a break.

Desperately.

And the mayhem that went down the last few weeks were only proof of his words.

"I wanna go home"

Tamaki's voice momentarily brought him out of his thoughts and he looked around, surprised that he didn't hear the footsteps.

"I wanna go home"

His friend was nowhere in sight, but the soft melody that had accompanied by the other's words was still playing.

"I wanna go home"

.

.