Chapter 16

Today I didn't feel so good. It was Thursday. Since I woke up, I've had a pounding headache. I was moving around carefully because I felt like any small movement would cause my head to fall off.

"Is anything the matter darling?" my mom asks me as I keep on massaging my forehead a lot during breakfast.

"I have a headache and I don't feel so good" I complain.

She immediately stands up and reach across the table and presses the back of her palm to my forehead. My dad got an urgent call this morning and had to rush off early in the morning. Me and my mom sat down on the dining table having breakfast together before I get to school.

"Oh my, you're burning up. How didn't I even notice you look really pale today. I think you might have a fever."

"Urgh" I groan.

"Are you sure you should go to school today? I think we should see a doctor."

"Mum, it's not that bad. I have to go to school. We have a test today that's very important."

"Well the teacher could give you a make-up test if I called you in sick right?"

"No mum, she's mean. The only way she'll give me a make-up test is only if I broke all my limbs and send her pictures."

She looks like she still wants to convince me to stay and a look that's says I'm exaggerating.

"Mum, it's alright. If I feel worse after school, then maybe we can go see the doctor."

"Fine." she huffs out.

"But you won't be taking the bus. Come on grab your bag, I'm giving you a ride" At least one good thing is coming out of it.

"I'd feel a lot better if you could buy me a car mum, cause right now I don't feel so good." She gives me look and I avert my eyes and cough. Loudly.

She rolls her eyes, "don't push your luck, young lady. Now come on."

I huff. Well there was no harm trying.

She opens the door and ushers me into the car.

When she drives into the school and parks the car, I reach out to open the car door.

"Wait."

"Yes Mom?" I turn around and face her.

"Don't stress yourself out ok? If you feel worse, go to the principal office and request a leave, alright? Make sure you call me if you're not feeling well. Even if you are, you can still...."

"Mum....it's ok," I reach over and kiss her cheek "don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Alright honey, bye."

"Bye Mom."

I step out of the car and head inside the school. I find Nate and Julie standing near Julie's locker.

"Hi guys" I mumble, my headache returning.

"Hey Hannah" they respond. Then Julie frowns "you look horrible."

"Gee, thanks Julie. You know how to really boost a girl's confidence." I mutter sarcastically.

"Hannah?" Nate asks.

"I'm sick alright. At least I think so."

"Then why didn't you stay home or even go to the doctor's?" Julie asks.

"Were you gonna miss us too much?" Nate teases.

I scoff. "It started when I woke up this morning and I have that test with Mrs Cassie today."