Chapter 26

As I left Noah, I had one thing I had to do. I wondered where I could find Mason.

I moved away from the teacher's office and towards the lockers. I didn't know where he was but I had to find him.

As I strolled through the mass of students near their lockers, I looked left and right to see if I could spot him, but I didn't see him or his friends. Maybe, they were somewhere together.

I looked at the watch dangling from my wrist. It was almost time for my first class. I didn't think I should waste more time searching. I'll probably see him during lunch.

With that alternative in mind, I headed towards my first class for the day.

                       _____________

When it was lunch time I spotted Nate on his way to the cafeteria together so we walked together.

"Um...I have to go do something. I'll meet you when I'm done. I'll only be a few minutes." I told Nate when we entered the cafeteria.

As he nodded, my eyes had already darted around to see if I could spot Mason. Bingo! He was there at his usual table.

I squared my shoulders and marched towards the table. He didn't notice me when I got there so I gently tapped his shoulder. His stunning blue eyes turned towards me. I breathed inwardly. I was mature. I could do this.

I had already made the decision to be mature about it all. I wouldn't throw a tantrum or act like I was cheated on or something. Maybe I interpreted it wrong. Maybe he didn't like me after all and I was just a friend.

"Can we talk? Outside?" I hitched my thumb towards the door of the cafeteria.

"Talk about what?" A snotty voice replied. And no, it wasn't Mason. Chloe stared at me as she raised her eyebrows in scorn. I hadn't even noticed her there.

But I wouldn't be intimidated. Even as I stood at the 'popular' table where she had a lot of friends. Not that they were paying attention anyways. A lot of them ignored me like I wasn't even there and continued chatting.

"I wasn't talking to you Chloe." I replied.

"Ugh," she replied. "What made you think you could come near our table? You haven't learnt anything, have you?"

"I can go anywhere I want." I shot back. I wasn't ready to get involved in a cat fight with her so I turned towards Mason. "Mason?"

He scrunched his eyebrows together and got up. "Yeah sure." He seemed confused cause I had never approached him like this.

But then as he followed after me, he seemed to regain his air of confidence. "Let's go. I'm all yours." He spread his hands open and smirked.

I rolled my eyes, his smirk no longer giving me those chills. Strange. But when I thought about a certain dimpled smile, I got butterflies in my tummy.

When I stopped outside, he also stopped. We were outside in the field. Nobody was really near us but some students were scattered around the field.

"I just wanted to return this." I reached into my bad and brought out his jacket. Freshly washed, of course. When I got home that day I couldn't wait to peel my shirt off myself. I had immediately put it in the wash.

I just couldn't leave the jacket there so I decided to wash it as well. Now I was glad I did.

It was actually a good thing my parents didn't see me come home that day. Otherwise I would have being bombarded with questions.

He looked confused for a second. "Didn't we agree you'll return it on Saturday?"

"I said I didn't think I could return it this week. But apparently I could. And I do have plans that Saturday so it wouldn't work." I wasn't going to mention Sarah cause that'll just make me look immature.