Kindness

Valentine

I carried Leokadia into the house as my brothers followed me. Ma and Dad watched me take her upstairs. I couldn't imagine how she felt.

My family watched as I carried her into my bedroom and sat her down on my bed. I sat down with her and wrapped my arm around her as she gripped my shirt and sob.

As we sat on my bed, Pat tapped her knee. She glanced at him and sniffled.

"It doesn't matter if your mom doesn't want you. We want you here. Please stay."

Romeo sat down on the side of her. "We can offer you hugs."

Rafe stepped towards us. "What does that woman know? She doesn't know shit."

I snickered.

Marty crept towards us. "It would be nice to have a sister."

My parents stood in the doorway and smiled.

Leokadia looked up at me. "Do you want me to stay?"

I looked down at Leokadia as my lips curved into a smile. "Yeah, I do."

Romeo handed her a tissue. She took it and blew her nose. Then she wiped her eyes with her palms. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to run off. I wanted to find out why my mom left me at the store."

"I'll be right back." Ma left and returned a few minutes later. She handed Leokadia a paper.

"What's this?" Leokadia asked.

"Read it."

Leokadia read through the letter as her brows furrowed. She handed me the paper. I took it from her and read it.

Brought in a six-year-old child after the manager at Oakridge Apparel called. The child is Caucasian with black hair and blue eyes. The child appears well-kept and healthy. When asked her name, the child said Leokadia Kowalski.

Ran a missing person's report through the database. No child fitting the child's description is in the database. Released an APB on the child's parents. Manager claims mother entered with the child but exited the front entrance without a child.

Contacted social services to pick up a child.

Officer Oliver Gray

"Cousin Oliver picked up Leokadia?" I asked.

"I requested a police report for research. Grayson is filing paperwork to obtain the foster care records. I can't make promises, but it may help us with Leokadia's search," Ma said.

I glanced at Leokadia. Her face revealed so many emotions. I handed Ma the paper.

"Give us a minute," I said.

My parents and brothers left the room.

"Do you want to find your mom?"

Leokadia looked at me. "Yes."

"Okay, then I'll help. But no more planning your great escape."

Leokadia sighed. I stood up and held out my hand. Leokadia placed her hand in mine as I helped her up. She moved her hand from mine and walked away first.

Until we find her mom, I'll keep her mind off of it. No one deserves to be left with questions, especially someone like Leokadia.

I came downstairs, and Romeo moved seats. I sat down next to Leokadia and grabbed a slice of pizza. My brothers ran their mouths as Dad referee them. Ma interjected as I ate dinner. I glanced at Leokadia, who observed my family while eating.