08. All Hands on Deck

CHAPTER EIGHTALL HANDS ON DECK

CHAPTER EIGHT
ALL HANDS ON DECK

◥✥◤

     Days after everything that happened at Eichen House, Alana Jane couldn't help but think about what Valack said before the Dread Doctors came. Apparently, she was supposed to be chaos because of the power she wielded but still didn't fully understand. If Valack did have any information that could help her, she was sure he was no longer an option. But if what he said was true and the book he wrote would open the eyes of anyone who reads it, then that was what she needed to do. Kira told her that she already printed copies so Alana Jane was going to have to ask for a copy so she could read it. Maybe it would help her understand more about herself and the kind of power she had.

     A knock on the door startled Alana Jane out of her thoughts and she sighed slowly through her nose as she looked at her father. "Stop staring at the wall and get to school," he said gruffly.

     Alana Jane swallowed thickly and grabbed her bag and keys. Once she was in the car, she put on a playlist and started heading to school so she could ask Kira for a copy of The Dread Doctors. When she glanced in the mirror, she saw a person's reflection in it. Her eyes were grey and her skin was pale and slightly rotted with decay. Alana Jane screamed as she floored the breaks and looked in the backseat. Her heart was beating wildly as she realized no one was there and turned down the radio. She grabbed handfuls of her hair as she leaned back in her seat while trying to compose herself.

     "It's not real," she whispered to herself as she put her hands back on the wheel and stepped on the gas pedal.

     She avoided looking in the mirror for the rest of the drive, afraid the corpse would appear again. When she did get to school, she stayed seated in the car to try and gather her thoughts. She closed her eyes as she took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. She kept repeating to herself that it wasn't real and it was just her mind playing tricks on her.

     Alane Jane turned the engine off and grabbed her bag and locked the car. She gathered her composure and headed into the school so she could just get the day over with. But first, she needed to find Kira and ask her for a copy of the book. And as she was walking to her locker, she noticed the girl in question with Scott. Alana Jane shook her head and walked over to them and tapped Kira's shoulder. The girl turned around and smiled when she saw it was Alana Jane and the latter tried to smile back.

     "What's up?" Kira asked.

     "I just need a copy of that book. Something about what that third-eyed creep said kept bugging me all week," Alana Jane said as her shoulders dropped.

     "Actually, we're all going to Scott's to read it and see if any of us remember something," Kira said and Alana Jane looked between her and Scott and shrugged her shoulders.

     "Sure, why not? Maybe it's better if we do it as a group since we don't know what these memories are or what could happen if we do remember them," she sighed.