Chapter 6: Rivalry

It seems like only yesterday that I stood there upon that cliff top, looking down into the abyss of my life. Everything that I had ever loved taken from me. Defeating the Lords of Shadow had been a hollow victory. Now I was on a journey, a journey that I could never imagine in my darkest nightmares. As I stood there contemplating my fate, a voice entered my thoughts, a cry for help that I could not ignore. A debt was owed, a life for a life and what was left of my broken humanity felt obliged to do the honorable thing to repay that debt.

"Looking back now, I realize that none of us has any real control over our fate. We are like leaves on the wind to be blown wherever we may." Luz read from the ancient travel book.

She was just finishing Chapter 13 of the story of her Ancestor, Gabriel Belmont. He was just another legend that had gone through hell and back to save the world that betrayed him. And to her family, was Gabriel who brought the most shame since the path he took lead him down into darkness, and he became what he had always fought against. Luz didn't care for what he became, she pitied Gabriel for all the crap he was put through. Becoming a monster, she saw was a way to ensure that he could never make it right.

"Show me the picture." King said to Luz.

"Not now, King." Luz said as she reread the passage silently this time. But King was stubborn and climbed on Luz's head, looking at the picture of the Demon Castle.

"Hah! I can draw better than that." King said confidently. "You know, they once called me the King of Artists."

"I thought you were the King of Cuties." Luz said with a smug look on her face as King yelled. "IT'S KING OF DEMONS. Ugh! Doesn't matter. What's important is that my followers would leave me offerings in fear of me!"

"Sure they will."

"Alright. That's enough story time." Eda said. "We got a business to run. You never know who's gonna show up today."

Then Luz replied "Eda, I don't think you've noticed...but there hasn't been anybody all morning!"

It was true. Heck, the entire street was as empty as a desert as a tumbleweed even rolled by.

"Is it the weekend or something?" Luz asked. "Where is everybody?"

"Wait...don't tell me it's that time of the year again." Eda asked in fear.

Then Luz saw too familiar faces coming their way, Gus and Willow, and they looked happy.

"Luz! Something amazing is happening today!" Gus said excitingly as he held up a flier.

"Really? What is it?" Luz asked as Willow showed her the flier. " It's the annual covention! Student witches get to see all the types of covens before they're placed in one. There's even a mystery guest this year!"

"Oh. Well, good for you guys." Luz said simply.

Willow then said. "You don't sound too excited."

"Well, I just don't see the reason as to joining a coven. From what I've seen, it's like you can only practice one form of magic."

"That's exactly what is, Luz." Eda jumped in. "Joining a coven is saying goodbye to all other forms of magic and giving up your magical independence to be part of a crooked system."

Willow and Gus drop the flier and clear their throats.

"Uh, ahem."

"Eh, but, you know, no judgment." Eda said.

"Right. You guys are cool." Luz added.

"In any case, I haven't been to one since we were girls."