Chapter 11: Return of the Headless One

The Owl House Trio were at a Slayground, where Eda watched over King while he was trying to making the local kids his peasants while Luz was writing down in her journal about Devil Forgers. Since her encounter with Mattholomule, Luz has been a little on edge and has been trying to gather up all the knowledge she can get on her family's historic bestiary. Luckily for her, the last few nights have been filled with intensifying dreams in they painted a clear picture of all Night Creatures Luz's ancestors have faced. But this was still a big concern, even for Eda as she eyed Luz having her face all the way in her book.

"Kid, you've been scribbling in that journal of yours for 5 days." She said, trying to get Luz's attention. "You need to relax."

"Have a huge bounty on my head, Eda." Luz replied. "Anyone can claim it. I don't know who to trust. I shouldn't even be in public right now!"

Sighing, Eda took Luz by the hands and made the girl stop writing for a second and look at her, straight in the eye.

"You need to relax. If what you just said is true, then maybe I would've turned you in by now. It's thanks to your family's reputation that a lot of people in Isles avoid you. 'Cause they don't want to get on the wrong side of that whip."

Luz looked down at her whip, that rested by her side.

"And besides, even your ancestors knew their limits and when to relax." Eda continued. "You should just sit back and enjoy the show like me!"

"What show?" Luz questioned, as Eda pointed down on the Slayground, where King was sitting on top of a slide as if it were a throne. He was having the kids 'bow' to him until one of them, a 'usurper', ends up pushing King down the slide. To at which point, he runs and complains to Eda about it.

"Eda! That monster just took my throne!" He yelled.

"You mean the baby?" Eda asked.

"No, the Usurper!" King replied. "I want you to go over there and blow him up. Kaboom!"

"Kaboom!" The 'Usurper' yelled while riding a spring rider.

"I'm not gonna blow up a five-year-old." Eda replied. "Besides, Owlbert is still, collecting more relics for Luz."

"How do you get Owlbert to do that?" King asks Luz.

Luz replied "I pay him in mice."

"Even though, he's not exactly meant to eat." Eda added.

"Fine. Don't help. Revenge will taste all the sweeter if they fall by my hand alone." King laughed...before the kid comes and pushes him down in a game of tag.

"Tag, you're it!" The kid said before running off.

"Oh, here we go." Eda said. "King's squeak of rage."

As King gets up while growling, he lets a loud, high-pitched scream that was more adorable that scary as he runs off at the slayground. All the while, Eda and Luz enjoyed how that sounded.

"He is like a little teakettle." Eda laughs.

Luz replied "Okay, I have to admit that was adorably funny."

And then suddenly, Owlbert shows up with a rolled up paper in his claws and drops it directly into Luz's lap.

"A note" Luz asked as she unrolled the paper.

"What's it say?"

"It's a letter...from the Bat Queen?" She said, getting Eda's attention even more as Luz read the note out loud.

To the Belmont, a creature you're familiar with has gotten into my home. With your skills, I ask of you to dispose of it. You shall be rewarded handsomely for your services.