Chapter One

A/N: CHAPTER ONEEEE! I Will be updating to Chapter 3 as of right now before publishing a chapter every TWO or THREE days! There will be no misses on days!!!!!

Please comment below and give me your thoughts on the new version or what you are thinking! I would love to hear from everybody!!!

Chapter One:

"How could you do this?!" My mother breathed heavily in front of me, anger radiating off of her. "You promised!"

I stood, zipping my large backpack, packing a few vital things I thought I may need and swung it over my shoulder. "You know why I am doing this."

"No! I do not. We told you to never do this!" Tears of anger trailed down her face.

"I had no choice," I said simply, slipping my only good pair of shoes on, which still were tearing apart. "You always had a choice!"

I turned towards my mother and smiled sadly to her, glimpsing the open door behind her where I could see my father lying on his bed asleep. Now, too tired to stay awake for long periods of time. "And my choice was to save my family."

My mother scoffed, shaking her head. "You are not doing anything, Bryce! Have you not seen what has happened before!" 

She spread her arms frantically gesturing at nothing. "Everyone who has signed up and left for the Resdue here has never returned!"

"They were selfish bastards who won the money and decided not to return home." I exclaimed exhaling and walked the few paces around our small living room with peeling paint. You could hardly even consider it a living room. I straightened the only family portrait we had that hung from the wall.

"You don't know that."

I turned back to my mother, the spitting image of me they all said, only by age was our difference. Light brown hair, bright blue eyes, she stood a little shorter than me but there was no arguing how similar we looked.

Her red angered face was what really differentiated the difference at the moment. "I guess I'll be finding out."

She suddenly slammed her hand on the broken dining room table making me flinch. I watched as she struggled for words, but eventually she stormed out of the shed and walked outside.

I frowned after her. This was not the reaction I wanted just before I left. 

Walking around the dining room table, I made my way to my youngest brother, Thomas who stood staring at me blankly. "Hey, buddy."

"I don't want you to go." I felt my throat clog up at his words.

I never really thought about how my family would react, especially Thomas. It would be hard for a ten year old to have to watch his sister leave, not knowing if she would return. Although, that fact seemed ridiculous to me.

Why would nobody return?

I ran my hand through his short dark hair and pinched his cheek, pulling at it as he whined, slapping my hand away. "Don't worry, Tommy, I'll be back in no time," I leaned towards him and whispered in his ear. "With $10,000"

Pulling away, I saw his frown tug upwards and a smile grew on his face. I patted his cheek lightly and he giggled softly. "Don't be gone too long."

I smiled and placed my hands on his shoulders, frowning for a moment. I could feel his bones through his eldest brother, Daniel's, shirt, his body much too skinny for a ten year old. Too thin.

"I'll be back in no time, I love you Tommy." He sniffed before whispering back. "I love you too, Bryce."

Frantically, I blinked trying to sway off the tears that threatened to rise. Patting him on the head softly, I kept moving and approached my fathers room. Entering it I stared at its small space. I am convinced this room used to be a small closet of the old shed it used to be.