Chapter 17: Kotys

Ap'lek had invited everyone over to his place tonight, telling us that he had made a huge banquet with his new woman and wanted to introduce us all. I knew he'd been seeing someone, as it was so obvious with how light-hearted and happier he seemed recently, and I knew the Knights had to have noticed as well. I was hoping it was the same woman from Lynn's gala, and I couldn't wait to actually meet her.

Trudgen and Kylo both held one of my hands, and we headed up to the top floor of Ap'lek's building. The entrance to his apartment looked much like the entrance to Kylo's, except this place was decorated with fancy filigree in the hallway and an ornamental crown-molding on the top of the interior walls. Kylo's apartment was certainly elegant on the inside, but this was far fancier and very classy. It was especially apparent when the door to Ap'lek's apartment was opened. That same crown-molding continued through to the inside. The set up within the apartment was similar to Kylo's, as it was an open-concept that included a very large living room and kitchen, separated by an extravagant dining table that looked to seat at least twelve people. And the table was already filled with trays of food, most of which I did not recognize.

It was bright and lively, and I noticed that the three of us had arrived last. Vicrul and Ushar were seated on one couch in the living room with Kuruk on another couch who were all chatting with each other, beers or liquors being held of course. Even Lynn and Cardo were both there, lovingly snug next to each other, standing in the kitchen with a wine glass each. They were leaning against the counter facing us, talking to Ap'lek and another woman, who Ap'lek had his arm around. Immediately, I recognized her even from behind, since they were facing away from us. She looked so classy, wearing a black and gold sundress, and her dark hair fell in waves behind her back. Lynn set her drink down next to her on the counter and waved to me, a hand still wrapped around Cardo's back, which made Ap'lek turn around to us.

The three of us headed over towards the island that was in the kitchen. Ap'lek took the woman's hand and guided her over to us as well. She was lovely, and she looked even more radiant than the first night I'd seen her. Ap'lek introduced her to us as, "moya devushka, Kotys." She had a pair of big, glistening, emerald eyes and a beautiful smile. Kotys hadn't said much, but she shook each of our hands. I didn't let her get away with only that though, as I pulled her into a hug as well. She smiled, blushed a little, and leaned back into Ap'lek's grasp as he placed a hand around her waist.

We were each handed a small glass by Ap'lek. "Here, try this, Samara," he said and reached over to the counter nearest to us and grabbed a large mason jar with his huge hand. He poured a dark tan liquid into the glasses the three of us were holding. I assumed Trudgen and Kylo both had tried this drink before. It looked kind of like a really dark whiskey to me, but it certainly was not when I tasted it. It was delicious though, slightly sour with a little bit of sweet, almost like an iced tea, but it was nothing like I'd ever tasted before.

"What is this?" I asked with a smile. "It's delicious."

"Kvas," Ap'lek replied. "It's a Russian alcohol. I made it a few days ago."

I nodded in approval drinking down the rest of my glass, and my Knights chuckled a little beside me as Ap'lek poured me more.

The food that Ap'lek and Kotys had made was delicious. Some of the food I knew, but there were several dishes, including the dessert, which I had never tried before, and most of the foods were Russian. Pierogi, pelmeni (both of which are Russian dumplings), beef stroganoff with seafood; it was all delicious. And to top it off, the dessert was this layered, creamy, sponge cake called medovik. They must've spent all day making some of the food that we all had for dinner, and Kotys told us that she was really enjoying dipping into more Russian foods for baking and had some extra inspiration for her catering company now as well.