twenty-three

I haven't been camping in years. So I was very excited about this weekend.

We were all camping. Me, Owen, Charlie, Maya, Savannah, Abby, Ryan, Jeremy, and his wife, Carolynn.

I couldn't wait to meet her. We were all meeting at the campground so Maya and I were on the way.

Jeremy and his wife were sharing a tent, Maya and Charlie were sharing a tent, I was sharing a tent with Owen, and Abby and Ryan were sharing a tent.

Savannah didn't want to stay by herself in a tent so Owen and I are letting her stay in the tent with us.

As Maya and I start setting up our tent, Abby and Ryan came.

We helped them with their tent since Ryan doesn't know how.

"Weren't you in the Boy Scouts?" Maya asked laughing at him.

Maya and Ryan always had a sibling bond. "Yeah but we stayed in fucking cabins. Not in this shit." He joked.

"If you start complaining, I swear to god I'll light it on fire while you're sleeping." I threatened.

He looked at Abby with his mouth hung open. "You see how she talks to me?" He joked.

We all start laughing as another car comes up. Jeremy and Carolynn get out. I smile as I start to walk to them.

Carolynn is so pretty. I give Jeremy a quick hug since it's been a while since I've seen him.

I then walk over to his wife. "You most be Carolynn." She nods and smiles. "Tate, right?" I nod my head.

We quickly hug each other. I introduce her to Ryan, Abby, and Maya. I can tell Carolynn and Abby are going to get close because of the age.

We all got to know each other and talk while we set everything up.

The last few people we were waiting on were Charlie, Savannah, and Owen.

Of course they were late. When they pulled up, we already had all the tents set up.

Savannah was the first one to get out of the car. She shakes her head towards us.

"I can't believe you left me with those idiots." I laugh at her.

Charlie and Owen walk out bickering. Maya and I looked at each other and shake our heads.

"What are they bickering about?" I ask Savannah as she sits next to me.

"Whether the marshmallow should be burnt or golden." I just roll my eyes as Owen came over to me.

He grins when he saw me and did a small wave. I patted the seat next to me so he came over.

"You guys got a good spot." He complimented. "Thanks, O." We caught up with each other since it's been a while since we've seen everyone.

It was nice to be with everyone. "I'm starving, I think we should start cooking." Ryan offered.

We started roasting hot dogs which made me happy. Before my mum passed, we used to go camping a lot.

So it was nice to do it again. "I like my hot dogs like I like my men." Savannah blurted out.

We all look at her strangely. "What, burnt?" Jeremy asked laughing.

"No, on fire." We all laughed in shock, not expecting that answer.

"Bloody oath." I mumble under my breath. I look over to see Owen looking at me with his mouth hanging open.

I nervously laugh as he stares at me. "So if I jump in the fire, you'll like me still?" He whispered.