Chapter 9

Jake's P.O.V

When I arrive at school, I find that Ariana isnt there. I hope shes okay, she left right after lunch yesterday and I dont know why. When I asked her friends, they said she had an emergency. It doesnt make sense to me, why would she go home all of sudden? Are her parents okay? Is she okay?

For now, all I can do is wait and see. I carry on through my classes when I finally get to lunch.

At the corner of my eye, I see Ariana talking to her friends. How come I didnt see her at all today? Is she ignoring me because I acted all wierd the other day? I know what your all probably thinking.

Why did I act weird? Ill tell you why.

The second she told me about the forgotten ones I knew exactly who was sending her the letters. Being the horrible friend I am, I paniced and left without caring.

Sometimes, for some reason, I get all nervous around her and I just clam up.
I suddenly hear footsteps approcahing me and I see its Ariana. When I look at her, I notice her face is all wet and her eyes are blotchy.

Was she crying? And why does she have cuts all over her?

"Hey" she says with a shaky voice. Yeah, she was definetly crying.

"Ha- have you been crying?...." I start off. But before I can say anything else, she sits next to me and puts her head on my shoulder and I securely put my arm around her.

God, I love her so much.
Did I just say that?

"Why are there cuts all over you? What happened?" I ask worriedly
She doesnt say anything for a while but finally she says something.

"I - I had to leave school earlier because my mom called....and she told me to come home immediately and call 9-1-1. I did but when I came home, I foun- found her dead on the floor. When I turned around, there was a masked man behind me. I waa - was reaching for the phone when he attacked me. When the police showed up, they arrested him and called my dad." she said bawling her eyes out.

Im speechless. I - I dont know where to start. Im glad shes okay but im still worried and mad at myself for being such a jerk. Im the worst friend she could ask for. I need to make things right.

"Im so sorry, Ariana. Im sorry for being such a jerk and I'm so sorry about your mom- I wish I was there for you. But, I am now, and me and you we're gonna get through this together. I promise. I'm just glad your okay and not seriously hurt. I dont know what I would do without you." I say truly feeling horrible about everything.
I kiss her forehead and she tells me she feels the same way.

I wipe away her tears and we stay in the same position until the bell rings. When we go our seperate ways, I miss her a lot for some reason. Could it be that I'm in love with her?