Chapter 12

Jake has not spoken to me since lunch.

And let me tell you, it really sucks not having your best guy friend around. He used to always be the one to text me first, but now he's not even replying to my messages.

Something's up.

And I intend on finding out soon.

Very soon.

But right now, I need to go to that sleepover I promised Katherine I would attend.

After ringing the doorbell a few times, she finally comes to the door in her blue and pink polka dot pajamas. Letting me in, I look around at her house. Its small, yes, but suprisingly inviting and cozy.

I walk into the kitchen, where she offers me pizza and soda. I kindly refuse even though I'm starving. I dont exactly know why but eating at any of my friends houses makes me feel uncomfortable and weird for some reason.

We gather into her bedroom, and watch a horror movie until one of us gets too scared. Which of course, ends up being me.

Deciding to do something else, we play truth or dare.

"Truth or dare?" she asks me

"Dare"

Big mistake.

"I dare you to jump into my neighbors swimming pool and stay in it for at least 5 minutes"

"No way! , I exclaim," You're crazy if you think im doing that."

"Pleaseeee" she begs countinously

I finally give in and head next door with her beside me. I check to see if there are any cars in the driveway before opening the gate that leads to the backyard.

Her neighbors house is huge, just like their pool.

I cant believe she acutally convinced me to do this.

"I should have never chosen dare"

"You really shouldnt have"

Rolling my eyes, I jump into the freezing, ice cold water.

Since it is only October, I can tell Katherine's neighbors didn't bother to clean the pool.

" Ugh, is 5 minutes up yet" I groan still freezing to death

"Oh yeah, it was up I while ago. I just wanted to how long you would last." she says chuckling

" You are so dead." I say as im getting out of the pool.

Chasing her back to her house, I cant help but to realize how stupid and immature we look.

We enter her room and she hands me a towel to dry off.

"Truth or dare?" I ask her this time.

"Truth"

Smart choice.

"Who do you like?" I ask slightly curious

She pauses a moment.

"I'll give you a hint, he's tall and has green eyes."

"Do I know him?" I ask.

"Um, yeah I think so"

"What letter does his name start with?"

"J"

There's only one person I know who is tall, had green eyes, and has a name that starts with J.

And that person is Jake.

Katherine likes Jake.

I like Jake.

This can't end well.

"Is it Jake?" I ask

"Yes, I really like him. And were really close so I hope he asks me out."

Now that I think about it, Katherine and Jake are pretty close. I see them talking a lot after class. And plus, the way Katherine looks at Jake should have made it obvious she likes him.

I guess I'm just oblivious to stuff like that.

But if there's one thing I do know, its that I'm jealous.

Katherine is beautiful, smart and funny.

What am I?

None of that, well at least I dont think so.

Time goes by, and midnight comes and goes. We finally decide to go to bed, but I cant sleep.

All I can think about is the fact she likes the same guy I do.

The same guy who puts a smile on my face, the same guy who easily cheers me up, the same guy who stayed with me when I was 7 until by broken ankle healed.

The same guy who I love.

And I dont know if anything is ever going to change that.

Ever.