56. Facing the Consequences

It took four days for them to make their way back down Aurora. Mikael was ready to burst from pride and joy. He had completed his Rite, and he had finally given himself to his mate in the most intimate way he knew.

He found himself longing for the day when Estelle would be ready for them to be officially mated by a priestess. When he could spend each day with her, serving her any way she desired. He would wait. He had promised that he would wait.

His resolution didn't ease the way his instincts chafed at him, gnawing on his mind and body. It didn't ease the heat that roared in his blood when they lay huddled together at night for warmth and he caught a breath of her scent. When she walked in front of him, hips swaying as shadows curled around her neck. When she made some sort of snide remark in response to something he had said, and those wicked lips curved into a tantalizing smirk.

They hadn't done very much physically since they left the Fountain, not wanting to be caught unawares by animals or exposed to the still cold air for too long. There had been one night though, when Mikael lay awake, heat surging through his body, that Estelle had unlaced his pants and wrapped her mouth around him to take the edge off his instincts. He repaid the favor by sliding his fingers in between her legs and working in hard, rough strokes until she was limp and shivering, but from pleasure, not the cold.

That relief had only been temporary though, and by the time Mikael sensed the wards around Aurora, he was grateful that he'd soon be home, where he could fuck her until both of them were entirely satisfied. "Calm down, Feathers," Estelle laughed up ahead. "I can scent you from here."

"Sorry," Mikael murmured, blushing crimson. Umbra tickled his neck as it draped itself over his shoulder. "I hope my fathers won't be too angry with us."

"I suppose we'll find out soon enough. The wards are just up ahead. I can feel them."

Their unmistakable energy crackled through the air and the power only grew stronger, the closer to the wards they got. Mikael took Estelle's hand and they passed through the wards. At once, magic flooded his veins and Mikael breathed a sigh of relief. He hadn't realized just how stifled his magic had really been.

Estelle's shadows danced with life, hopping between the two of them excitedly. She lifted her hand and electricity snapped between her fingertips. "Shall I carry us the rest of the way to the training grounds?" She asked. Mikael nodded and shadows swirled around the two of them.

Just as they arrived beyond the marked training rings, Ameer landed and Thesan materialized beside him. Mikael lifted his chin as his fathers stalked towards them. He angled himself in between them and Estelle, harsh protective instincts already overtaking his mind.

"What the hell were you thinking?" Ameer demanded. "Entering the Rite without permission? Dragging your mate along with you? Not letting anyone know where you'd gone? You could have died! Do you realize that?"

"I came of my own accord," Estelle interrupted. Ameer glowered at her and Mikael's feathers ruffled. He curled his hands into fists.

Thesan gripped Ameer's shoulder tightly, casting a pointed glance at Mikael. "Give them a chance to explain." His father's voice was hard with anger, despite his calm words.

Mikael gave Thesan a grateful look. "Ronan taunted me again. He insulted the two of you and Estelle on my behalf. I decided that I had to do something. I had to prove that I'm just as capable and worthy as anyone else, even though I'm a bastard. I'm tired of being seen as worthless filth. I'm tired of not being enough. I'm tired of my people looking at my family and loved ones, and judging them for what I am."