🍻 2

The last week of June quickly fades into July, and in the blink of an eye, it's four days until the first of August. When they say 'time flies,' Seungmin didn't really think it would go by this fast.

Currently alone and sitting in one of the many open offices, Seungmin goes over the stacks upon stacks of documents, mumbling occasionally to himself. "Okay, so there is the permit to host the festival at the Yellow Wood Park..." Seungmin already knows it's gonna be so fun and exciting there. "Now, let's see, what else do I have to look over before Thursday..."

Just as he picks up his checklist, the Head of the Festival Committee, Mrs. Kang, walks into the office. "Seungmin?! Kim Seungmin?!"

Seungmin inhales deeply and closes his eyes at Mrs. Kang's grating voice. Even though he's so honored to have been nominated to work on the festival, Seungmin can't help but wonder if it's because he's the only person who can tolerate her. Not only is she known for being super judgmental, but she's also a gossip who never stops gabbing. Still, Seungmin plasters on his signature thousand-watt smile as he turns to face her thousand-year scowl. "Mrs. Kang! How are you? Is something the matter?"

"Something is most definitely the matter, Seungmin! I'm furious right now!"

Yes, he can definitely tell. "And is this something I can help with?"

Mrs. Kang drops a stack of paper on the desk Seungmin is borrowing. "There are some not-so family-friendly booths that want to participate in the Levanter festival."

"Oh? And?"

"And because we still have vendor openings, we have to approve them so that we don't lose money!"

Seungmin doesn't... see the problem yet. He blinks once and slides the stack of papers over to see what Mrs. Kang is so furious about. The booths are a bit different than what they were used to, but none of them seem dangerous. In fact, Seungmin quite likes the fortune-telling booth. "I know that a fortune-telling booth might be a bit taboo, but I can't see how it's not family-friendly..."

He sees her eyes widen as if he had just grown antlers. She slams her fist on the table. "These fortune-tellers are bringing the devil to our festival!"

Uh. "It's just a bit of harmless fun, Mrs. Kang," Seungmin placates once he recovers from flinching, "This is all just—"

"You listen to me, Seungmin." The sharp severity in her voice makes Seungmin wince before a sigh escapes his lips.

"I'm listening, Mrs. Kang," Seungmin says meekly, hoping to calm her down.

"Now," she starts, still stern but thankfully calmer, "I know that the council appointed you to be my helper, but I am the head of this committee. I have more experience with this event since I'm still quite a bit older than you." Seungmin doesn't comment on the emphasis, even though they're probably a decade or two apart. Or three. Who knows, some people could look way younger or older than they should be. Mrs. Kang reaches over, takes his hand, and gives it a pat, "I would appreciate it very much if you simply took my advice instead of questioning it." Annoyance simmers in the pit of Seungmin's gut as she squeezes his hand. "You do understand, that my years of experience trump yours, correct?"

Seungmin breathes out slowly while mentally counting to three, and gives her a smile. Of course, plastic, but no one ever notices it as it is, anyway. "I completely value your help, Mrs. Kang," words she would surely like to hear, "and I'm certain there's a lot I can learn from you."

"What a good boy!" There it is, Mrs. Kang's delight. "Now let's talk about—"

A knock on the door interrupts her, and when it swings open, a familiar face catches Seungmin off guard.