𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒊𝒙.

November 1982.

I walk to the yard.

Today I had the day off, being the sheriff in a place like Sunnyvale wasn't exactly complicated, Shadyside was the one that usually brought trouble but nothing serious.

These days have been quiet.

They decided to make me sheriff after what happened at camp, it was something that was already expected to happen eventually, but after that they decided to move it up.

My friends are around the pool, but I sit in a chair away from them.

I am back to normal, it doesn't mean I miss her any less or don't have that constant pain that comes with her memories, but I have learned to live with it.

Her face is something that constantly comes to my mind and I still have nightmares about what happened, especially the ones where she is dead and doesn't come back.

I feel a pain in my chest just thinking about it.

I wonder if she's okay...

"Nick", Becca's voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

Rebecca "Becca" had moved to Sunnyvale a year ago and quickly adjusted, she befriended Becky so she introduced her to the group.

She is like the new Sheila but better in every way.

"Why don't you go to the pool with us?" she asks.

I didn't really have a good reason.

Well yes, I don't want to socialize.

"Maybe later," I reply so she doesn't try to talk me out of it.

She smiles at me.

She's cute and all my friends told me she was interested in me, but the problem was that I wasn't interested in her. She never said anything to me anyway but I did notice.

She takes a few steps towards the pool but stops.

I hear her sigh.

Please don't.

She turns around.

"Would you ever go out with me?"

"Would you ever kiss the weird girl?"

The memory of that moment flashes through my mind, her eyes, her lips...

"We go out all the time", I reply, playing dumb.

A nervous laugh escapes her lips.

It's not like I've never turned someone down but she had become my friend.

"I mean..." she leaves the sentence in the air.

I raise my eyebrows, waiting for her to continue but she just looks at me for a few seconds and then denies.

"I just need help cause Will's birthday is coming up and I don't know what to get him," she says.

I know her enough to know she's lying but I'd rather let it go so I don't hurt her.

I give her a smile.

"If I'm not working I promise to help you," she nods and turns to go back to the pool.

July 1983

I walk into the empty room of the house, my friends were helping me organize the house because we have a lot of stuff that we don't use but according to my mom "have sentimental value".