Not now

Karen stopped knocking and started loudly banging on the door that separated her and her boss, who liked to take her time getting ready. But Stevie had no more time left. The photographer, who was going to take promotional shots for her live concert DVD, had arrived and was waiting for her. But she was Stevie Nicks and she didn’t work on other people’s schedule, they worked on hers.

“I’ll start calling you Stephanie around everyone if you don’t come out of that damn dressing room right now.”

“Wow! Now that is a serious threat, Karen!”

She heard from the other side and rolled her eyes. “I mean it, get your ass out of there. The photographer is waiting, his people told me that if you don’t show up in the next five minutes, he’s leaving.”

“I would love to see him do that!”

“Stevie, please.” Karen was pleading and the door finally opened, where Stevie stood not at all in a hurry to meet the person she was going to work with today. “Give me your hand, we’re going to run there.”

“What, no! I’m wearing six inch heels, Karen!”

“Well, it’s not my problem you can’t be ready when you’re told to.”

“We might be friends, but I’m still your boss.”

Karen stopped in the middle of the hallway, glaring. “You are never going to fire me, you would be lost without me.”

“Right, let’s run.” Stevie nodded and rushed as best as she could.

The two women came to the set and the people there all turned around to face them. Stevie’s eyes immediately set on the tall, beautifully built man, with slightly graying hair, but he didn’t seem too old. She wanted to ask her assistant who he was, until she saw a camera in his hands.

“It’s nice of you to show up.” He said, holding out his hand for Stevie, his voice not sounding mean, but teasing. “I’m Hank Bale, I’ll be taking some snaps of you today.”

“Hello, Mr. Bale. You can call me Stevie. If we have a good day, who knows, you might get to start calling me Stephanie.”

“Oh, I’m not worthy, Ms. Nicks.”  The time stopped around the two for a minute, until they heard Karen loudly clear her throat. “Right. Shall we get started?”

“Why don’t we do just that.” Her cheeks had turned slightly pink, but thanks to all the make up she was wearing, it wasn’t showing through.

One compliment after another, the day seemed to have disappeared, when Hank announced the end of 'a highly successful photoshoot’. Usually, Stevie would go back to her dressing room, get changed and leave and she was thinking of doing that, when she heard her name called and she spun around.

“Would you like me to send these pictures to your assistant or to look through them now?” Hank, pointed at his computer that the camera was connected to.

“Um… I can’t see why not do it now.”

“Well, come over here then.”

Karen gave an exaggerated sigh and a roll of her eyes. She had known Stevie for long enough, to know exactly when the woman had her eye on somebody and the sexy, even in Karen’s eyes, photographer was definitely the one this time.

While Hank was pointing to various things his eyes caught in the pictures, Stevie was admiring how his sharp jaw moved, while he was talking. She didn’t care at all, what was it that he was saying, she wanted to shut him up, preferably with her mouth.

“Stevie?”

“Sorry?”

“You were somewhere else.”