Chapter 14

A year... A freaking year?!

"In a year your already be gone! Do you really hated me that much?! "I mumbled as I ran around in circles with the tire attached to the end of the rope and the other end wrapped around my waist.

I stopped running and tried to catch my breath from all those running.

"Good work! "I look at the direction of that noise...

There we're some upperclassmen making way for Chris-senpai...

"Good day! "
"Good day! "They said.

"Hey, wait a minute... "I mumbled standing up... Tsk, he's leaving early again today.  Unbelievable...

"Hey... YN-kun... "I snapped back. Haruichi-kun ran towards me holding a scroll.
"Chris-senpai in third-year asked me for a favor. Here. Its a new menu. "He said making my whole body froze.

Haruichi-kun stopped in front of me with the scroll without second thought I took it and threw it away from me.
"He'd better be kidding me. Like hell I'll actually do this. "

I picked the tire up.
"This tire is all I'll ever need. Let's go partner. "I said caressing the tire and started running around.

"Hey, what are you gonna do for the kanto tournament in two days? Everyone's required to go. "He said.

I stopped and gave him an 'I WONT GO'glare.

"I see. So you don't want to go. "His voice tone lowered. "From now we can only watch from bleachers. It doesn't make me feel good either . But they're teams we'll be playing against in the future. "Haruichi-kun said.

"Might as well get to know them. "Sawamura-kun said as he handed me the scroll I threw away.

This two has a point.

Two days has passed and I followed everything from the scroll those past days. We are here in the bleachers watching our  team play against Yokohama Academy.

The Yokohama batters had figured Tanba-senpai out by the seventh.
If we lose the pitching battle, we'll lose the game.

"Top of the Eight, seido highschool has called for a change in players. "The announcer announced.

"Change in players? "
"But does Seido have a pitcher other than Tanba who can fare well against Yokohama Academy?  "
The crowd murmured...

I took the water bottle beside me and gulped in some water.

"Switching out Tanba for the pitcher, Furuya."

I chocked in my own drink.
"YN-kun, are you okay? " Sawamura-kun said while Haruichi-kun handed me a towel.
"I'm fine. " I said and controlled my coughing.

"Furuya? "
"He's a first-year. "
"Seriously? "
"They're putting in a first-year in this situation? "
"Is Seido giving up the game? "
They muttered.

"Guys! Show that rookie what highschool baseball is about! "The Yokohama Coach shouted.

Furuya-kun dropped the rosin bag after he's done using it. He started pitching.... And that first pitch of him made all the people quiet of a second and then they cheered.

In every pitch of Furuya-kun, they can't hit it... It always goes straight to the mitt.

"Five strikeouts in a row! "
"Unbelievable. "
"Seido's got themselves a monster player. "
"What junior high is he from? "
"I've never heard of a Furuya. "
"Finished off the last guy with a strikeout,
too! "
"One more out! "
"One more out! "
"One more out! "
They shouted.

"Its hard to believe he's a first-year like us."Haruichi-kun muttered.

"One of his pitches can crush a batter's heart. ".... That voice, I looked behind and saw Chris-senpai. "This is the difference between Furuya's talent and yours. "He said with those same cold-hearted gaze.

"You... "I mumbled

"I told you... You'll never be the ace on this team. As long as he's in your grade........... At this rate,  for three years, you'll just be his relief pitcher. Or you can quit here, and try to be an ace elsewhere. "He said and looked away.

I gritted my teeth. "What about you? You're a second-string like me. Aren't you frustrated that you lost to a second year? You finish practice so early. If you want to go up, don't you have to practice harder than anyone else?! "I stood up and went in front of him, glaring at him, releasing every ounce of anger, fuse, resentment... "You've just given up on getting better!  I don't want you talking like you know anything! No matter how high the obstacle... I never want to be like you! I'll never give up on aiming higher!-"

'BANGGG!!! '

I was interrupted by a loud sound... I looked behind.....

Furuya-kun threw a powerful ball.
"There he goes! "
"Six strikeouts in a row!!! "
"He's a real beast! "
"Seido's got themselves a strong pitcher. "
"Seido's gonna be strong this year! "
The crowd cheered.

"Nice pitch. "Kominato Ryosuke-senpai said, the big brother of Haruichi-kun...
"Hyahaa"Kuramochi-senpai yelled at the same time jumping behind Furuya-kun for a piggy back ride. "Nice going, kiddo. We can't end the game like this after your pitching"he continued as he rubs Furuya-kun's head.

"Tch, "I irritatedly mumbled He's way too showing off.

"Give up on aiming higher? "I looked back at Chris-senpai "For the idiot that you are, you're sharp. "And like that he turned around and walked away but before he could fully go he mumbled something that left me in shock"Don't end up like me, YN. "

"Today's game was amazing. "
"I had goosebumps at the bottom of the ninth. "
"We lost, but we we're a step away from Yokohama academy. "
"I bet we can really go to nationals this year. "
"Yeah, we'd better train hard too. "
"Yeah. "
Some of the teammates said and went away the laundry room... I stayed quiet, something was troubling me from what Chris-senpai said. ..... "Don't end up like me... YN"

He admitted it just like that. What's his problem...

After every last guy got out of the laundry room I quickly tossed my undergarments inside the washer and turned  the switch for it to spin...

Goshhh... Took them so long to finally leave.......