Chapter 8

The coach raised his arms and said. "Pitcher Change. Satoru Furuya. Come up to the mound."

Furuya walked to the mound receiving many eyes from him still not getting over the dinner incident.

"Who's that guy? "
"I've never seen him before. "
"Which junior high is he from? "

"Finally, its now him"
"We'll destroy you, super rookie. "

How's he... Going to pitch... Against these horrifying batters?

He rubbed the sole of his shoes to the mound and gazes at Miyuki-senpai... Then I remembered, Furuya wanted him to catch his ball, he must have been looking forward to it.

"Play! "

Furuya took a step back with his left foot, raises both if his arms, raised his left foot and swiftly took a huge step forward and launched the ball.

Just then we saw the face protection flew and drop to the ground... We all are focused at coach... His face protection just flew!

What... In the world was that?!
The ball was low when he threw it... But the ball rose...

The batter took steps behind looking at the coach. "C-coach. Are you okay? "He asked with wide eyes open.

The coach just smirked and looked at Furuya... "You pass, Furuya. You can practice with the first-string starting tomorrow. "He said making all of us amazed.

"First-string?! "
"Lucky him... He passed. "

"Pitcher changed, "Coach said.
"Please let him continue, coach. I'll hit his pitch. "
"Coach"
"Coach. "They pleaded.

He looked at them.
"There's no first-year who can catch his pitch. "He said making the catcher in front of him grunts.

So this is what Furuya meant when he said 'won't let anyone hit', huh?... Guess, that was technically true.

"Tanba, you're done too. If you can pitch without being overwhelmed, you can do well at the nationals. Be more confident. "Coach said... Tanba was left with no option but to accept. "Yes! "

-------

"The upperclassmen aren't doing so hot anymore. "
"So that kid changed the momentum with just one pitch. "

"We still have four innings left! "I shouted... There's no way we could lose to them.

"That's right. We're not going down without a fight!... YN and I will lead the way! Let's start by taking a run back "Sawamura-kun said swinging his bat.

"Are these two crazy? "They muttered.

Sawamura-kun was up... He went to the batter's box energeticly.
He glares without a hint of respect to Kawakami-senpai.
"Lets have a good game! Bring it on! "He shouted and started swinging his bat after the pitcher pitches.

He missed.

He swung again and missed the ball.
"Strike 2"
"Damn, that was close. "He said as he grits his teeth.

The pitcher pitched one last time... But this time Sawamura-kun didn't bat aggressively instead he did that one familiar posture I saw while I was at the game on my second day here.

Sawamura-kun bents down and the ball was tapped barely by the bat and after that Sawamura-kun took a run for it.

The fielders dashed and takes the ball then they throws it towards the second base luckily, He ran fastly than the ball.

"Wow, that's the first guy to be on the base."

"It's not like playing well now will get us into the first-string. "They murmured but I didn't care because I was up next, I wasn't getting a petty comment ruin my mood.

I went to the base with the bat at my hands... Let's see how will this one more inning end.

"Please go easy on me! "I shouted and bowed. I stood straight and glared at the pitcher.

The guy puts down the small cloth on the ground and looks at me smirking.

I tapped the bat 2 times at the base and bought it behind my head.

He started pitching... I didn't swung the bat, instead I stared at it at the corner of my eyes.

"Ball! "Coach shouted as the ball landed inside  the catcher's mitt.
I hadn't feel the ball.... Its harder when you try to catch up to the rhythm of the it.

The pitcher pitched again and this time I swung but instead for it to go forward, it went backwards.

"Well, look at that. Yeah, right. He'll lead the way? "
"He's all talk"
I heard Kanemaru-san said and the other guys.

I rolled my eyes.

"YN, you got this! "Sawamura-kun shouted putting both of his fist up.

That was too close.

He pitched again...
I'm gonna hit that!

I swung the bat..................... And as embarrassing as it will sound,,,,, I couldn't hit it.

Damn, it didn't even graze it.

"Don't give up! "A guy shouted. "The catcher dropped the ball! "

I looked back and saw that he was exact... I then ran without any second thoughts when I heard Sawamura-kun dashes.

So long as the play hasn't stopped, I won't give up! I don't care about the pressure and the first-string stuff right now. I just don't want to let it end without doing a single thing!

"Run through! "The same guy shouted.

"Safe! "The referee shouted as I rolled at the dirt.

I breathe catching my breath and looked at the direction where the guy has been shouting... He has a pink hair covering his eyes, he's wiping his bat with a cloth and he's was on the shaded side of the dugout.... Everyone on the dugout was looking behind them too.

I saw the pink-haired guy grin. "Nice, run"