Chapter Thirty-Four

ARKHAM ASYLUM - HALLWAY - NIGHT

Batman steps out into the hall. Two-Face is already gone. He picks a direction and walks swiftly down the hall. He turns a corner and runs into Commissioner Gordon and Stephanie. Stephanie cries out in shock.

STEPHANIE: Jesus! Don't do that!

BATMAN: Are you okay?

She nods. Batman looks at the Commissioner.

BATMAN: You're alive.

COMMISSIONER GORDON: Did someone say I wasn't?

BATMAN: Dent. Have either of you seen him?

STEPHANIE: Not since he had me tied up.

BATMAN: He must have gone the other way. Where are the hostages?

COMMISSIONER GORDON: In the visitor's room back there.

BATMAN: We have to get them out. There's a bomb in there, and Dent has the trigger.

Stephanie looks alarmed.

STEPHANIE: My mom is still in there!

BATMAN: Go get her and the rest. We can handle Dent.

Stephanie nods and runs back the way she came. Batman turns to the Commissioner.

BATMAN: Ready?

She checks her gun is loaded and nods. They walk down the hall the opposite way Stephanie went.

ARKHAM ASYLUM - TOP FLOOR

Stephanie hurries back towards the visitor's room. Suddenly the Scarecrow jumps out of doorway and grabs Stephanie.

THE SCARECROW: Miss me?

Stephanie pushes the Scarecrow away forcefully. The Scarecrow wipes her eyes in mock sadness.

THE SCARECROW: And I thought we were friends.

STEPHANIE: I don't have time for your bullshit right now. I have to get my mom and the others out. Two-Face put a bomb in there.

The Scarecrow claps her hands.

THE SCARECROW: Ooh, a bomb! Sounds like a party.

STEPHANIE: Addy, why are you're doing this? You're not an evil person.

The Scarecrow takes off her mask and studies Stephanie. For a second it almost looks like Stephanie's words are having an impact. Then she shakes her head.

THE SCARECROW: You think this is just a mask I wear? That I can take it off and stop being the Scarecrow? No, this is the real me.

STEPHANIE: I don't care who you really are, just get out of my way!

THE SCARECROW: Not until you tell me where Bats and Facey are. 

STEPHANIE: I don't know.

THE SCARECROW: Liar, liar. Pants on fire.

She looks at Stephanie's costume.

THE SCARECROW: Nice pants, by the way. Color suits you.

Stephanie tries to push past her and the Scarecrow pulls out her scythe.

THE SCARECROW: I don't want to kill you, dear. But if you don't start being more cooperative I may have to slice you up, just a little.

Stephanie kicks the Scarecrow in the chest. She stumbles but doesn't fall. The Scarecrow giggles.

THE SCARECROW: You want to play rough? Me too.

She swings the blunt end of the scythe at Stephanie and knocks her off her feet. Stephanie flips back up and punches her in the face.