20

A couple of hours drifted by quickly as Dream got more comfortable around his father, and it even became enjoyable to watch him and George interact and get to know one another. He was still surprised by everything that had happened, but he had a happy feeling in his chest, and a smile that wouldn't seem to disappear.

Things were finally feeling right between them.

But eventually, Dream was starting to feel tired from the long flight, yawning as he stretched his arms up over his head. He was just about ready to ask George if he was okay with heading to the hotel for the night, but before he got a chance, the front door was opening.

Confused, Dream's eyes drifted over to look at his father, who was pushing back his chair and standing up from the table. He could hear voices as people entered into the house, and then the front door was falling shut again. His father's expression was unreadable, his eyes dropping to meet Dream's for just a moment as he awkwardly hovered near his chair.

As the voices drew closer, Dream turned to look through the archway of the kitchen, his eyes falling on a tall boy with blonde hair and blue eyes. He looked to be only slightly younger than Dream, and there was a woman following behind him who he figured was the boy's mother.

The boy paused in the archway, his eyes flickering over to Dream and George as he asked, "who are they?"

Dream's eyes were back on his father, watching as he shifted uncomfortably on his feet, his eyes flickering between Dream and the boy as he said, "this is my son, Clay, and his fiancé, George."

The boy nodded, a curious expression on his face as he looked at Dream and George again.

Dream wasn't sure what to say, so he only sat quietly as the woman stepped past the boy and into the kitchen, a smile lighting up her face as she said, "oh how nice, I didn't expect you to have to company. I should have called first."

Dream's father gave her a small smile and a nod as he responded, "that's okay, honey."

Dream's eyebrows furrowed together at the word, "honey", his eyes still glued to his father as he tried to piece together exactly what was happening.

But he pulled his attention away as the woman approached him, both George and him standing from their chairs as she introduced herself to them, extending her hand as she said, "nice to meet you both, I'm Diane. And this is my son, Tommy."

Dream shook her hand, looking over her shoulder at the boy and giving him a small smile. The boy just barely returned it as he mumbled out a hello. And then Diane was stepping back, looking over at Dream's father for a second before continuing, "well, I'll just let you keep talking, Tommy and I will be in the other room. George, would you care to join us?"

Dream turned to meet George's gaze and gave him a reassuring smile to let him know it was okay, and then he watched as Diane, Tommy, and George all trailed out of the room together,

When it was just his father and himself, he dropped back down into his chair, eyebrows raised questioningly as he asked, "what was that all about? Who are Diane and Tommy?"

His father sat down across from him again, silent for a moment as he kept his eyes focused down on the table. Dream could tell he felt uncomfortable, so he kept quiet until he finally answered, "Diane is my girlfriend, we've been together for a couple of years now."

"Oh," Dream responded quietly.

He leaned back in his chair as he inhaled a slow breath, his eyes cast down and his brow furrowed. But there was one more question that he was dying to ask, so he lifted his eyes and quietly continued, "Diane and her son, where are they from? I mean...their accents...are they..."