30

*hello :) this chapter is a little bit longer but it's very important to me and probably one of my favorites from this story. I hope you guys like it.

*TW: mentions of relapse/drinking

Dream wasn't even sure how he had gotten to the point that he was at, but as he sat alone on his bed in the dark of his bedroom, he only knew that he needed more of something.

When he had left the apartment earlier that day, he had driven around aimlessly for hours. He knew how easy it would be to find someone he could buy from, but he really didn't want to stoop that low.

But still, his shaky hands around the steering wheel had driven him to the nearest liquor store. It was like something took over his body from there, and before he knew it, he was back in the driver's seat with a bottle in hand.

It had only taken seconds for him to tear the cap off the bottle, seconds for him to ruin all of the progress he had made.

He regretted it before the liquor had even hit his tongue, but even still, there was something soothing in the feel of it. It was a feeling he didn't even know he had been craving until he felt it again, and the numbness that followed only worsened his cravings for more.

He didn't want to think about anything else; all he really wanted was to dull his thoughts and feel nothing, and if this was how he had to do it, then he would find a way to be okay with it.

But he had been stupid to think that George wouldn't notice; George noticed just about everything when it came to Dream. And now George was upset, and rightfully so, because Dream knew he had probably ruined everything with his one stupid decision.

Now he was by himself, his fingers digging into the palms of his hands as he tried to fight off the cravings. He kept telling himself that if he had already ruined everything, then why not keep going?

But he knew it was only his addiction talking, and that wasn't the person he wanted to be. He could be better than that; he was better than that.

He leaned back against the headboard, a couple of tears sliding down his face as he took a shaky breath. He was struggling more than he had in a while, and his brain was still lost to the hazy fog of the alcohol he had consumed.

He was so lost in his own mind that he didn't even register the bedroom door opening, but he felt the dip of the mattress as someone climbed onto the bed beside him. Warm and familiar hands found his face, gentle fingertips brushing tears away from his cheeks as a quiet voice said, "you're gonna be okay, Dream. I'm here, and I'm not going anywhere."

Dream managed a nod, letting his head fall against George's shoulder as the brunette pulled him into a tight hug. He hadn't expected George to come back, and as he buried his face in the crook of the brunette's neck he quietly mumbled, "you didn't leave."

George's arms tightened around him as he quietly responded, "no, I didn't leave."

Dream stayed wrapped up in George's arms for a moment, and when he pulled back he could just barely make out the contours of George's face in the dark room. But he could see just enough to lean in and press a soft kiss to his lips, pulling back just enough to quietly mutter, "thank you."

George kissed him back, and then he was settling down against the bed and pulling Dream down with him. He let Dream rest his head against his chest, and Dream felt the brunette's arms wrap around his shoulders again, his fingers running soothingly through blonde waves.

It was quiet for a moment, and Dream focused only on the sound of George's heart thudding steadily against his chest. It was comforting in a way he didn't know he needed, and he closed his eyes with a quiet sigh.