Chapter 14: The Dikastís

I followed the woman through a series of doors down in a hallway in the first floor.

Huh. Napakadaming pintuan.

What are these for?

Instead of asking that question to satiate my curiosity, I remained quiet and fixed my gaze at the woman in front of me.

Not long after, she stopped in front of double doors.

Binuksan niya iyon at iginiya niya ako pumasok sabay labas at sara din ng pinto.

I examined the room. Halata ngang office lang ito.

With a bookshelf on the right side of the room, and a table with a swivel chair containing a girl who is, surprisingly, looking at me like I'm the most interesting specimen she's come acrossed as of the moment.

Wait, what? She's just a girl! I think she's barely 19 based on her appearance.

She's... hospitable? I don't know. I felt... warm somehow.

This, is the Judge? The Dikastís? What were they thinking?

"Maupo ka Mr. Volantes." She said while smiling and gesturing down to the chair beside her in front of the table.

"May gusto ka bang inumin?" She asked while gesturing sa mga refreshments na nasa gilid ng table niya.

I politely declined and proceeded to sit across from her.

Wait, she can speak filipino?

"How can you speak Tagalog so fluently?" I blurted out before having a chance to stop myself.

She seemed taken aback by my question but later smiled, not expecting me to utter a question as their first sentence to a superior person.

Is she though?

"My mom is a Filipina." She said, as if that completely answered my question.

She wasn't wrong though. It did.

I unknowingly smiled but let my smile drop and made my face impassive again.

"You wanted to talk to me about some urgent matters?"

"Ah, yes. That urgent matter is..."

"Is?"

"I wish to personally welcome you to the Delestria Court."

Uh... what?

"Is- is that all?" I asked. Something tells me that that isn't our main topic for today.

She looked at me and shook her head while sipping her tea.

"I'm sorry. I can't help but be aware of your scrutinizing gaze at me a while ago. I know you have your doubts, Mr. Volantes. But I assure you, I am just as effective on carrying out justice just like my late father who've done so in the past." She spoke.

I frowned.

This is Mr. Anethesia's daughter? But then, who am I to judge? If she overcame these so-called challenges that was thrown at her while she was taking her father's position, then our case is in capable hands, right? I should have mad respect for her.

"My sincerest apologies Ms..." shit. I never bothered to ask what her name was!

Her eyes went wild and she put down her cup of tea abruptly.

Akala ko magagalit siya pero nagulat ako sa sunod niyan ginawa.

"I'm sorry! Oh God! Ang shunga mo naman Delphine!" she apologized to me but I think I wasn't supposed to hear the last sentence she uttered.