Chapter 20: Stalemate

Wala ako sa ulirat ngayon. Gusto kong magsalita, kaso walang lumalabas sa bibig ko. It's like my whole body locked up, waiting for my brain to absorb the info that is right in front of me now.

Parang ayaw kong tanggapin. No, hindi ko tanggap. Whoever this "Trickster" is, he's an impostor. I refuse to believe it.

But the resemblance is uncanny. Some part of me knows it's true.

He really is our brother.

What will happen now?

"Baby? Hey. Babe."

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the heavenly voice of my lovely wife.

"Let's get out of here, baby. Yeah?"

I nodded, hypnotized by her voice.

"Dikastís," she bowed.

"I think the purpose that you've called us here is to introduce us to him, am I right?"

"You are correct."

"And now since they're properly acquainted, I assume that our purpose here is done, isn't it?"

The Dikastís raised her brow, not liking her tone. Alam kong nagjojoke lang silang dalawa sa loob-looban nila but they have to play their parts.

"Yes, I agree. You are dismissed."

We proceeded to get out of the

With a nod and goodbye, we left.

Pagkadating namin sa kwarto, pinaupo ako ni Mel sa kama. Hindi pa din ako nakakamove-on sa nalaman ko.

Nanatili akong nakatunganga.

Para kasing na-fry ang utak ko. I think I'm literally undergoing shock right now.

My brain is overthinking right now. I'm overthinking right now.

What will happen now? Will kuya Diamond still undergo Oi Prokliseis? Is Trickster going to reign the Mafia Empire? Is he going to kill us once he does? Where did he come from? What is going on? Is he an enemy? What the f—?

"Spade."

After a few minutes, tumingin ako sa nagsalita. Nakaupo na pala siya sa tabi ko.

"Come here." And I automatically went into her arms.

"Shh... it's okay... I'm here. I'm here, my love."

Hindi ko namalayan na umiiyak na pala ako at sobra ang pagkakakapit ko sa kaniya.

I'm holding onto her like she is my lifeline.

She probably is.

"I-I... I d-didn't know." I said while crying.

Why am I crying anyway? Why? WHY?!

Is this the end? Are we ever going to find dad?

I am afraid. Afraid for Diamond, afraid for mum and dad, and most of all...

For Mel.

I promised her. I promised that I will protect her.

How can I protect her if the Mafia will possibly belong to someone else other than Diamond?

I have to be strong. For Mel.

Snap out of it Spade! Mel needs you! Mel sees you weak! Stop crying!

I stopped crying and untangled myself from her.

Tinignan niya lang ako. Nung tinignan ko ang mga mata niya, wala akong nakitang emosiyon na negatibo. It's... full of love and tenderness that I can't help but to let slip a few tears.