Chapter 13. Pain

A few minutes later, not hours thanks to Iceland's strolls around the city, and having bought more sweet supplies, they got back to the hotel.
Denmark ruffled Iceland's silverly hair, not getting a growl in response too much of his surprise.
The Icelandic boy felt like a kid again, submissive like a dog puppy, and not minding the rough playing of his uncle.
They greeted the rest of their family and left the envelopes on the table:
A delicious coffee cake, small cream pies, chocolate cookies and licorice. A lot of licorice.
Finland and Sealand were the first ones to walk around, smiling brightly.
-Did you and Uncle Denmark buy this? -the little boy asked, taking a cookie.
The Icelandic nodded, smiling triumphally. He still wanted to be an example to Sealand, and wouldn't let him see his sad and worried side.
-Yeah! This city is filled of candy stores!
-Like Uncle's Copenhaguen?
-Not that much, but yeah
Iceland felt much better than before, still worried though. Around Sealand, he had to act strong and lovely, and that duty relieved him.
Norway apologized for his rudeness in the early morning and, devouring the coffee cake, offered himself to look for Mr. Puffin with Iceland.
But Iceland was still worried. About Hong Kong. It had been almost an hour since he parted away to bring his family, but Iceland didn't get a text or a call from him.
"Maybe he just forgot..." Iceland thought with a frown.

♡~·~·*♡*·~·~♡

Hong Kong froze, as his warm, amberish gaze met the well-known Briton's cold, emerald stare.
A stare he didn't have to deal with in a long time.
-Leon!!
The adult nation ran to hug the teenager, who managed to scape soon after.
-A-Arthur...
-Yeah! How have you been?
-Fine... God, take that shirt off... It makes you look like a stupid...
He looked away, blushing in embarrassment.
-What, don't you like it?! I bought it to greet you!
-Yeah, it seems so...
-Anyway -he huffed- Let's go home, I can't wait to see Yao...
Hong Kong watched in disgust how England rolled his eyes. He knew how much China and him hated each other.
He hated it.
He hated the war atmosphere in the air when the Englishman and the Chinese were together.
He hated the arguing.
He hated the threats he heard.
He hated England.
He wasn't a bad father for him after kidnapping him, but it was only outdoors.
Inside, the war against China continued, and Hong Kong had to witness how the Briton sent thousands of soldiers to attack his beloved big brother, unable to do anything.
He had to watch how China came back home, covered in injures he tried to hide.
Uselessly.
China endured it until the end, so worn out by the war that it was Japan who took care of his younger siblings most of the time.
A destroying war.
Nobody looked after him.
China was in the battlefield, Japan was too busy caring for the others.
A soldier grabbed him and took him away.
He screamed and cried for help, only to be used as a hostage for China's surrendering, and taken away for his suffering.
Then, he had to travel across the vast Asian and European land just to become one of England's possesions.
The Briton might have changed into a better nation, but nothing could erase the painful memories from the Cantonese's mind.
England couldn't just make him forget his past with presents and visits.
The pain carved into his soul was much bigger.
-So, how is everybody doing?
The Englishman's ridiculous attempts of making Hong Kong speak snapped the teenager out of his thoughts.
-Hm?
-Are the others okay?
-Hm, yeah. I guess so.
He wasn't going to let England win that easily. He didn't trust him. There was always a hidden intention behind his visits.
Soon they got home. England's hand was awkwardly placed on Hong Kong's should, much to his disgust.
China's warm welcome smile faded as his gaze met with the Englishmpan's. Hong Kong scurried away from England's grip swiftly, running to meet his confused siblings, who didn't expect England that soon.
He told them about Iceland's puffin. Japan refused politely, as always, shooting a quiet glare at England. Korea and Taiwan nodded quickly, actually wanting to be anywhere else, also afraid of what could happen.
Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong jolted outside. The teenager was relieved that he could scape.
-Hong, you should stay, aru
A slightly shakey, small hand stopped him.
-What?!
-It's better for you if you don't go -England said.
Hong Kong glared at them and walked into his room, shutting the door tightly.
The South Korean and the Taiwanese hesitated, but finally ran away.

♡~·~·*♡*·~·~♡

-He must be somewhere...
The soft voice of the Norwegian man sounded through the slightly crowded streets
He was searching through the city, helping Iceland finding his pet.
-I know... but where?
-I don't know...
They had been spending hours walking in circles around the narrow, confusing streets.
Iceland ran a few meters ahead, calling loudly for Mr. Puffin. He was too worried.
For him, it was more than letting a bird fly free. He was missing a friend, trying to find him into an unknown city.
He ran around, turning a corner, when he bumped into a frilly, pink figure that let out a squeak.
She turned around, running a hand through her brunette hair, and staring at the young boy with curious, golden eyes, the same color as Hong Kong's.
-A-Ah, sorry... -He apologize.
-It's okay, Emil!~
He thought for a second, recognizing her voice.
-M-Mei?
-Yeah!
Iceland sighed in relief, finding someone who could actually help.
-Where is Leon?
-He's at home, da-ze! -A masculine voice sounded.
-At... home?
-Yeah, he told us about your bird, and wanted to come, but Teacher and Eyebrows argued aaaand...
Iceland gasped a little, feeling sorry for Hong Kong.
-Is he ok?
-Yeah, well...
-Nevermind, I'll just ask him later...
Iceland frowned, biting his bottom lip nervously. He felt a piercing guilty into his stomach, feeling bad for even thinking Hong Kong wouldn't care.
-Look!!
Korea's voice pulled him back to the real life.
Iceland jolted up, looking around.
His face lit up, finding a soaked, filthy, small figure.
A small bird.
-Mr. Puffin!!
Iceland ran to hug the bird, tearing up. He stroked his feathers gently, feeling the animal's shivers.
Taiwan giggled, patting Iceland's back reassuringly.
Iceland smiled, wrapping his brown velvet jacket around the shivering bird.
-Thank you so much, guys... -he sniffled.
Taiwan smiled warmly, wiping his tears away with her frilly sleeve, almost like a mother.
-It's nothing, Emil. Now go, your brother must be missing you.
He nodded, waving at them and running to find Norway. His mind was still lost in thought, wondering about Hong Kong's situation.
He was actually really worried, only hoping to get home soon and text him.

♡~·~·*♡*·~·~♡

Hong Kong pulled the blankets over his head tightly, covering his ears.
He didn't want to face it. He didn't want to accept the fact they were fighting over who would keep him.
He didn't want to hear the hateful words that they shouted.
It all started as a small argue.
Like always.
England visited them and acted like a calm man willing to use words, until the things got too heated up.
They would usually get to their hands, but the fact Japan was there to protect China calmed him down a little.
Still, witnessing those fights, specially if he felt it was his fault, was his one and only weakness.
"He should come with me! Can't you see I'd give him a better home?!"
"You kidnapped him!! I won't let y"...
The Cantonese covered his ears tighter, not wanting to hear more.
The thick, warm tears dripped on the sheets, trickling down Hong Kong's cheeks. His fists, tightly shut around lumps of blanket, felt like going to explode.
The guilty was skinning and gutting him slowly and mercilessly. He could do nothing.
A buzz.
Hong Kong turned around quickly to grab his phone, in  desesperate attempt to get distracted and enduring the yelling.
-"Hong, your siblings told me about... yknow, u okay?"
He sighed shakily, switching to the camera app to send Iceland a photo.
His golden eyes, now teary and incredibily sad, dripping thick tears. Around his eyes and nose, reddish skin. His usually straight expression, now a distressed frown.
Just a picture.
A screenshot of his reality.